By mckenna9797 - 07/09/2016 11:16 - United States

Today, it's my birthday and I'd planned to take my family and friends to dinner with my own money. My mom just informed me that she'd messaged everyone that I'd canceled the dinner. She instead wants to use my money to buy my older brother a gun for his birthday, which is in two days. FML
I agree, your life sucks 21 356
You deserved it 2 210

mckenna9797 tells us more.

mckenna9797 15

Hey everyone, OP here. Thank you everyone for your birthday wishes. I called my friends and got it rescheduled for Saturday luckily, although one or two might not be able to. As for my mom, she had a joint account with me due to when I was 17, and I just haven't gotten to it to change it to just me when I turned 18 last year, because she usually never does this. My mom does seem to like my brother more than me which is a little messed up but she usually respects me and treats me very well. She's a nice person and decent parent, but a little weird sometimes. She didn't have any money to spend on his birthday due to just paying rent for the month with her paycheck. She did however have no right to use my money or cancel my plans. That was uncalled for and definitely not right. As for the gun itself as a present to my brother, he's turning 23 and just got back from a year deployment to Germany. She wanted to do something special for him and he really wanted a mosin nagant rifle for a couple years now. I would have bought it for him honestly if. she asked because I get paid tomorrow. I hope that answers all your questions!

Top comments

Excuse me but WHAT? That is insane and hide your money. Some mothers are just crazy and very bad at that parenting thing.

Do what you want with your own money. Even though your mom cancelled your big dinner, you can still reschedule. And as for her, tell her she can buy the gun with her own money!

Comments

OP I am so sorry I would severely be angry and tel my mom no especially since I was gonna pay for my own dinner for my own birthday. this isn't how this works at all. mother of the year over here. what I cancelled your birthday dinner? I'm so sorry but now we can buy your brother that gun he wanted for his birthday in two days ok? no not ok lmao

Obviously don't give her the money! Reschedule and make sure she's not invited. She can buy a sodding gun with her own damn money. **** knows why she wants to give that as a gift, anyway.

I'm guessing you can't just take your money and leave. Instead, fight back with guilt. " I thought that money was mine. Why are you stealing it from your own daughter? Are you saying you love him more than me?" Sometimes that crap works. Try it.

OnlySkyrimStays 11

If the mother's like this in this situation, she'll probably just outright say the brother is the favourite.

Is she ******* stupid!!!! Did she actually think that you'd agree to this for a ******* weapon that should have a worldwide ban on it by now??

But no one should be allowed to use one. I'm allowed to state my political views on guns and such, and I don't believe they should be allowed in human hands.

Taco The Dank 27

You think criminals are going to follow anti-gun laws!? Oh hell no they won't! Anti-gun laws are just making it easier for the criminals to do harm, since (assuming the anti-gun law is passed) no law abiding citizen would be able to easily defend themselves against some psycho with a gun because they had their defense weapons taken away.

Funny thing is if guns are illegal and no one can get one, then the price of a black market gun would increase drastically...which would make killing someone a little more costly. not only that it'd be easy to know who was a criminal since law abiding citizens wouldn't carry them around, and less toddlers would shoot their mom's in Walmart.

well, guess my family that does their own hunting and ranching cattle is screwed because you decided what's right and wrong for every situation involving guns. OPs family most likely are hunters, guns are common gifts in my family for that reason. I got one I use for turkey season.

I guess I should have specified. Automatic assault weapons should be illegal, like they are here in Canada and hand guns should be extremely limited and regulated. Hunting rifles and certain shotguns are practical for specific jobs and lifestyles...but if you want a gun to "Protect yourself" and claim to be law-abiding, it's pretty hard to unlock a gun safe then unlock the trigger locks and then go to another room to grab your ammo...all for the guy who's presumably already inside.

anythingmofo 6

"Automatic assault weapons" don't exist. Assault rifles do but they're extremely hard to get with at least a 6 month waiting period with the ATF. There are semi-automatic sporting rifles but they're used in a tiny percentage of shootings. The overwhelming majority of shootings are done using handguns.

@125 Not to mention the fact that even the cheapest fully automatic weapons start at $4000. Not something the average deranged person can afford.

I'm live in Canada so we don't really have the same issue of mass shootings, which I notice generally use automatic weapons and the like...

anythingmofo 6

The last time there was a shooting involving fully automatic weapons in the US I believe was the North Hollywood Shootout in 1997 and while 20 people were injured there were only 2 fatalities and those 2 people were the gunmen.

OTOH, your Mom may just not want to see the $$$ wasted. Expensive dinners are fleeting, but durable valuable items like guns last years and are better investments. Maybe she's helping the family make better use of what it has?

Some people, myself included, think experiences are more valuable than possessions. But more importantly, are you seriously defending the ethics of taking one child's birthday money or hard earned money that she was going to spend for her own birthday gift generously on her family, and then giving it to another child? You need to go sit in the corner and think about that a little more.

I completely agree... But sometimes possessions facilitate experience. I wouldn't have most of the best experiences I have had or 90% of my friends if I wasn't a car guy. Wouldn't have the experiences I have diving without my SCUBA gear. Doesn't apply here. Just generally speaking.

It's also not the mom's place to decide what OP should do with his/her money. And cancelling plans OP had for their birthday and saying "no, you're going to do what *I* want" is incredibly unfair and selfish of her.

Guess we know who's the favorite in your family

Message everyone back saying that NO, dinner is not cancelled, it's still going on. Only now Mom isn't invited. It's your money, it's not up to her what you do with it.

Happy Birthday, McKenna. That's awful, and please don't give your mom the money. If you feel like you can talk to her and tell her why what she did is so awful, then go for it, but I'm guessing that's not a valid option. Don't apologize, don't give her anything to use against you. Don't explain yourself. Just say "no" as many times as necessary.