This is a Nearly FML. It’s an FML, nearly. It got positive votes from the users, by wasn’t approved by our team.

By PhoenixChick - 25/01/2017 07:02

Today, it's my 35th birthday. Today I'm also going to a job interview as a housekeeper for a wealthy couple who went to the same college I did. And I'll be lucky if I get the job. 21-year-old me did not see this future coming. FML
I agree, your life sucks 4 115
You deserved it 485

Top comments

TheEpicKitten 20
awildwhisper 30

Every job is important, keep your head up and I hope better opportunities soon come your way. (hmm that sounds like a cheap fortune cookie...)

Comments

Cinderella was a maid too, sort of. Just bc you there now, doesn't mean you'll be there forever.

Part of the problem is that you seem to have a low opinion of yourself, as evidenced by being doubtful that you can obtain a job you consider less than optimal.

OP here- to answer some questions (and, I'm guessing, assumptions)- I majored in Marketing. Got great grades. Got a job in the field right out of college. Specialized in campaign management and SEO. No drug problems, gambling problems, theft or anything that would make me unemployable. Company I worked for was sold, company that bought us out already had their own marketing team and...bye-bye job. I'm married and this is not a huge town, so options in this economy are...slim...in my field. I have no problem working any job, and housekeeping and any other "service" job are important. it's just...not what I thought I would be crossing my fingers for at this point in my life. And, no, I did not get the job. They went with someone with more private housekeeper experience. Thanks for the kind words. I know lots of us are struggling.

mermaidgirle 12

OP, first, best of luck. An honest job is a good job. Try to use it as a stepping stone into something better. Hold your head high and remember all levels of jobs are important to keep our society going properly. And don't judge yourself on another's standard. We all have our own individual set of circumstances that contribute.

cootiequeen4444 11

What are the professions of the wealthy couple? Did one or both perhaps go beyond college to graduate school or med/law/vet/etc. school? That would explain a lot. And sometimes people who go onto financial business like banking or stock market stuff start out with wages. Also, there is a chance one or both of the wealthy couple may have been born with a silver spoon in their mouth... Some rich parents never stop paying for their kids' shit. Or they could have had connections in "the real world" right out of college helping get their foot way in the door for a profitable career! There's myriad of reasons why this couple might have done "better" (who knows if they are truly happier? no one knows what goes on behind closed doors). So, I would feel too bad OP. Maybe look for at-home marketing jobs via Internet companies. Once you gather more marketing experience, you can work up in that field. Just gotta keep trying to get that foot in the door! It's not always easy nor is it always immediate. If you truly find marketing to be your passion, I would give up on that career! Sure, getting another job while you scour for a marketing one wouldn't hurt, but I wouldn't just give up something if you feel a calling or think you would at least be happier doing that job. Good luck on your future endeavors, OP! And stay strong! I'm on a slow path towards my dream career as well and have to suffer retail jobs and the like while on this journey (no offense to retail jobs. I just really suck at retail and am awkward and customers can really suck sometimes. though i do admit my bad memory and not remembering where things are does not help in the slightest. i only do small stores now aa such lol)

Happy Birthday! Sucks to hear about the job situation but keep your head up. You'll find something even if this doesn't go to plan.