By muffinmen1022 - 20/02/2009 05:27 - United States

Today, I went to Macy's to go shopping, I was wearing a shirt and tie and dressed nicely. Customers came up to me with questions, but I just ignored them. Minutes later, thinking I was an employee, the manager came and yelled at me, and threatened to fire me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 46 425
You deserved it 11 817

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You can always tell the customers that you don't work there.

Now's the time to strike back at your boss-wannabe! Employees of another workplace unite!

Comments

hayleyyy 0

You should have told them you're not an employee there. At least then you wouldn't have had to deal with the manager. But like the others are saying, this isn't an FML.

cbahh 0

That alwaysss happens to me. I wear khaki pants and collared shirt to work at Petsmart, and if I go ANYWHERE else everyone assaults me for help. No matter how high I zip my jacket, or how much I hunch over, they still find me. Damn that khaki-pants radar.

I had the same thing happen I was thought to be a manager for Walmart and target. It's bad when even an employee mistakes you for the manager. But entertaining when you go along with it for a few minutes.

I work in a gardencenter. Whenever I enter one, even if it's not the one I work at, people will come to ME with their questions. Dunno how they know I'm from the business. they might smell it, who knows.

This has happened to me a few times too but only in hardware stores, when I'm there in my work clothes. I work for a pizza franchise.

This reminds me of Improv Everywhere's Best Buy prank. http://improveverywhere.com/2006/04/23/best-buy/

It's so sad that everyone's immediate response is how to make someone's day completely shitty by harrassment and possible job loss, and then maybe profit from it by suing. That's disgusting. First of all, the manager was doing his job, c'mon if any of ya'll were managers at Macy's you would be pretty pissed off too if customers were complaining about an employee who was being rude and slacking off and ignoring them. You turn a funny situation into a money making scam that involves humiliating and degrading some poor slob who's just trying to do his job so he doesn't get fired for someone else's supposed incompetence. I truly hope that when the day comes (and it will, it does for all of us) that you make a big mistake at work, that you get yelled at in front of your co-workers and customers, fired and sued. Cuz that would make everyone else commenting here really happy. You guys suck.

#39, if the manager is "just trying to do his job", he's doing a piss-poor job of it. First, you don't get the respect of your employees by yelling at them I'm front of customers. You take them aside and talk to them. Second, if the guy doesn't even know the OP is not one of his employees, he deserves pretty much whatever he gets. He sounds a lot like some supervisors I've had in the past, who do their best to demean and degrade their employees, and all the better if they can do it in front of customers. I have zero sympathy for that type of douchey behavior, and I'm sure if the OP had used the opportunity to screw him over, the real employees would have loved it.

ionelementz112 0

You earned that one. If you told people you didn't work there, instead of ignoring them, no one would have yelled at you.

Dr_Phil 0

This isn't true at all. The manager doesn't know who his employees are? BS!

You could have started shouting about the sexual harassment and drug use prevalent at said Macy's, and that you would happily quit because you were tired of seeing the underage Asian prostitutes leaving his office covered in bruises. And that you would need years of counseling to recover from the "hanger incident." Man, now I really want that to happen to me because it sounds like so much fun!

alwaysalady 0

Should that happen, and it does, not to that extreme, but it does, you have an excellent oppurtunity to get a DEEP discount.

blacklagoon_fml 0

This happens to me all the time when I go to Best Buy. I spend a lot of time there, so I guess I have the look of "I know where stuff is here" (despite the lack of a blue polo). The funny part is that I do, and when people ask me where something is, or what products I reccommend, I can actually help them. And I always tell them I don't work there afterwards and we laugh about it. I'm actually going to get a job there now. Hahaha.