By Iamleftout - 24/12/2016 23:18

Today, I went to a Christmas party to visit family. Dinner time came around and I sat down at the table to eat. All of the food either had nuts or meat. I am allergic to nuts and I've been a vegetarian for three years. FML
I agree, your life sucks 7 392
You deserved it 2 332

Iamleftout tells us more.

If you have any questions or want further details please let me know and I'll try to reply to all the comments.

Top comments

I am quite sorry you feel that way about vegetarians. I understand it is hard to get nutrients without meat but I still manage to eat healthy and get plenty of nutrients. Happy Holidays. (Also please try not to judge me for my opinions and beliefs)

#21 Thanks for the nice comment! I just try to understand and imagine what others are going through before I judge. The holidays are busy and stressful so hopefully I have better luck next year. (Also I'm sure I would love going to one of your parties! Happy holidays.)

Comments

Cyrus00 41

That sucks. I thought the vegetarian option of a roast is a nut roast (correct me if I'm wrong). So what do you normally have?

Positive attitude! Sounds like the host was trying to go keto if no carbs/starches were found? I love homemade mac and cheese as well as my meat but this one...learned peanuts are not nuts

What you get for being vegetarian. With the current state of food, you do not get truly enough nutrients anyway. Go back to meat.

I am quite sorry you feel that way about vegetarians. I understand it is hard to get nutrients without meat but I still manage to eat healthy and get plenty of nutrients. Happy Holidays. (Also please try not to judge me for my opinions and beliefs)

Yeah, no. I've been vegetarian for my entire life and have never had any problem getting the nutrients I need. And I've been tested plenty of times too - just about every time I go to the doctor for any reason they want to do some bloodwork to finally "prove" that my lack of meat has led to some deficiency or another, but so far it hasn't!

#46 I agree with you, some doctors have told me it's a bit more healthier to not eat meat especially red meat (Like steak) Also a lot of people hate vegetarians for being 'picky' and refusing to eat meat even when it's the only option but I honestly can't eat meat even if I want to without getting very ill and having my body react to it badly. After years of not eating meat it would take a while to get used to eating it again.

OP- exactly! People need to understand that literally your digestive biome is different- being vegetarian may have been a choice initially (which doesn't and shouldn't invalidate it), but your body literally can't handle digesting meat now. Ask them if they want to eat a tub of lard, or a bowl full of rocks. Because that's basically what it'd be like for you.

Thank you! I am glad you understand! Most people hit the 'YDI' button despite not knowing the consequences I would face if I did just eat the meat at the party. Happy holidays!

OP, I totally feel you! I've got a laundry list of food allergies (that have popped up or increased in severity over the years)... including tree/peanuts, veined or rhined cheeses (penicillium mold), lemongrass, shellfish, and more recently gluten (intolerance, not allergy), oh and garlic (intolerance hah). It's not as restrictive as it sounds, but when people trying to get 'fancy' with recipes, especially around the holidays, it's problematic. I try to eat beforehand if possible, but I (like you) am human, too. And sometimes don't think about it beforehand (b/c I'm so used to my diet that I sometimes brainlapse about people sneaking things into otherwise traditional dishes.. like almond slivers..). I always ask what's in something if I didn't see it being made. And do generally try to bring a few dishes that I know I can have. Idk what kind of bugs me more is when people go out to eat at places that I know I can't eat at- ie Red Lobster, or Thai/asian food places... (peanut oil in the air, and cross contamination).. I would never ask anyone to change their plans because of me. I'm used to it. But you know, on a human level, yeah it is kind of a bummer.

#49 I am very sorry about your large list of allergies! I have many allergies too but some of them are not deadly.

In my family, if you don't like what has been so carefully prepared for hours on end then you just go hungry. Its the holidays which are usually hectic so maybe they just forgot (or, if they weren't sure you were coming, may have been waiting to find out and then didn't have time.)

#51 They did indeed know I was coming but I agree that the holidays are stressful so they most likely forgot. Happy holidays!

CBL88 25

It's funny how people who eat meat almost always expect vegetarians and vegans to prepare lovely dinner parties with roasts and all, but they always seem to forget to return the favor :/

#52 That is quite true but they most likely forgot due to the stressful holidays. Happy holidays to you!

If you have specific food needs, it is wise to bring a dish you know you can eat.

Well, normally they are aware of my food needs and make Mac and cheese, mashed potatoes, corn, etc. and not only for me but many of my other family members love those dishes the most during the holidays which is why I figured they would do the same thing they normally do and cook those meals but they must've forgotten. Next year I will bring my own food, thanks for the advice!

Back when I was veg I used to bring my own personal meal just in case. If they had something I could eat, great, I'd have something left over later. Really solved a lot of issues like this. Good luck on the next one! Sometimes you have to make do when no one knows your allergies or forgets :/ better safe than hungry.

Then just eat meat..........we're omnivores not herbivores

There is no shame in bringing some food to a dinner party..as an allergic you have special needs, there's no shame in admitting to that, and even is quite nice of you to avoid the imposition of your hosts having to cook something special for you by bringing your own to warm up.