By bettysue - 06/02/2009 15:37 - United States

Today, I went on a first date with a guy I met at a speed dating event. He recommended the lamb shank, which I ordered without looking at the menu. When the waiter took my order, my date said, "wait, the lamb is $27, why don't you get the chicken". He then ordered the lamb for himself. FML
I agree, your life sucks 38 896
You deserved it 3 816

bettysue tells us more.

bettysue 0

The facts are this: 1) I was asked out on a date. 2) I don't care about money. 3) I let him pick the restaurant so that he could keep it in his price range. I even offered to do coffee instead of dinner so that it wasn't a waste of money if we didn't have any real connection anyway. 4) He had been to the restaurant before and ordered the lamb dish, so he knew how much money it was. 5) I ordered water to drink. 6) He didn't even let me look at the menu before he recommended I get the lamb dish, because if I had I would never have selected a meal that was that expensive. 7) He told me to change my order in front of the waiter, and then ordered the lamb for himself. Not wanting to be a total bitch, I didn't complain, but at that point I expected him to pay for dinner. if I couldn't order what I wanted, why the hell should I pay? To all of you losers out there who weren't brought up properly, this is not the way to go about taking a woman on a first date. If you can't understand that, then I feel sorry for you. The whole point of this site is to tell humorous stories about everyday, insignificant things that people can relate to because we've all been there. It was a bad first date, but I think its a funny story. Whatever.

Top comments

p00p0nt0ast 10

And sarcasm isn't helping. I'd be frustrated too! So think a bit before you comment such rude things, it's not nice!

daxxbuttons 12

I'm so tired of people whining, "OH IT'S A DOUBLE STANDARD THAT MEN HAVE TO PAY!" No, jackass. If YOU invite someone out on a date, YOU pay. When I take my S/O out on dates, I PAY. When he offers to take me out, HE PAYS. IF YOU GUYS DECIDE TOGETHER, YOU BOTH PAY. WHAT THE **** IS SO HARD TO FIGURE OUT ABOUT THIS CONCEPT.

Comments

Thank you! Everyone seemed to miss the part where the guy recommended it n changed his mind.

Narshwrangler 0

A lot of people are commenting that guys are cheap jerks, I'm a guy and I have to disagree...but THAT guy was being kind of a dick, just cuz one guy is like that does NOT mean that we all are so for all of those who are hating on us, lay the **** off.

I always used to pay for the first date (when I was dating, Im married now). I don't like feeling like I owe someone or for someone to expect anything of me because they paid for my meal, it was never a discussion I just gave the waitress my card and if i liked the guy said he could pay for the next date. I would be offended if someone suggested something expensive then decided I wasn't worth the money.

p00p0nt0ast 10

Thank you! I agree with you here! Finally someone uses their noggin!!

I think it's only fair that the guy pay for the dinner if he is going to be so controlling, especially since he reccomended the dish in the first place. Insisting she couldn't order it because it was too expensive and then ordering it himself was just plain rude, and nobody should have to put up with that. Furthermore, OP only states they expected him to pay after he had done so, which is more than fair in my opinion. I also want to point out that it is up to every couple to determine how the date is paid for, that it is entirely unfair to stereotype or condemn someone for their order or payment choice, and that it's nobody's business but the couple's.