By bigbagofnope - 17/06/2016 20:17 - United Kingdom

Today, I washed my boyfriend's work clothes, trying to make up for a fight we had earlier. After taking them out, I found his phone, wallet and keys at the bottom of the washer, completly waterlogged. This is not the peace offering I'd hoped for. FML
I agree, your life sucks 13 700
You deserved it 7 842

bigbagofnope tells us more.

Hay OP here, yeah I know it's my fault, I seriously ****** up. The original argument was about him spilling his coffee milkshake all in my car and on my purse, but that's water under the bridge now. I normally do check all the pockets before I put them in, I was just in a rush. I told him stright away and the wallet and keys are salvageable but the phone very much not. He's attually really chill about it bc he knows I didn't mean too and I am going to help him sort out a new phone asap. Always check your pockets folks!

Top comments

Sorry, but YDI. I just can't understand why people don't check the pockets of clothes before washing.

If you put the waterlogged phone in some rice it will be good as new the next morning. The rice attracts Asians who fix the electronic device. (This is a joke and is not meant to be taken even slightly seriously)

Comments

Sorry, but YDI. I just can't understand why people don't check the pockets of clothes before washing.

Well, the guy assuming he did, probably should've taken it out before he threw it in the hamper

andrmac 25

It says nothing about a hamper maybe they argued and he said f this I'm taking a shower and just dropped his clothes on the floor and op picked them up and washed them. Even still not your clothes zip all zippers unbutton all buttons and feel outside of pockets or inside to be sure not to wash money or in this case everything this guy has on him when he walks out the door.

YDI for not checking sorry OP but I'm not really sorry.

Hay OP here, yeah I know it's my fault, I seriously ****** up. The original argument was about him spilling his coffee milkshake all in my car and on my purse, but that's water under the bridge now. I normally do check all the pockets before I put them in, I was just in a rush. I told him stright away and the wallet and keys are salvageable but the phone very much not. He's attually really chill about it bc he knows I didn't mean too and I am going to help him sort out a new phone asap. Always check your pockets folks!

If you put the waterlogged phone in some rice it will be good as new the next morning. The rice attracts Asians who fix the electronic device. (This is a joke and is not meant to be taken even slightly seriously)

Rice can help. Or, putting your phone in the oven with just the light on. DO NOT TURN THE OVEN ON, JUST THE LIGHT. Overnight is usually good. I don't know about after having run it through a washing machine though...

@Kingsquisher - I'm Asian, and I laughed way too hard at that joke.

I started reading #39's post and thought "oh this old song and dance" and finished thinking "you clever sod"

So how does rice fix phones if not with asians? Does it actually attract magical elves? Is there special magical rice? Or is the rice a lie, like the cake?

Rice draws out moisture in things- it's why some restaurants and households put rice in their salt shaker. The rice attracts moisture that would otherwise clump the salt together, and the salt largely prevents mold. In the case of a phone, in can draw moisture that is trapped in circuits out, which can be enough to save them.

It just absorb the water in the surrounding area. you can put some in a jar of salt for example so that the salt doesnt agglutinate because of humidity.

You can also try some of these silicate packages, if you have any, they come in new handbags or something like that to keep the moisture out. Rice will also do. Just put it in a bowl with rice or the silicate packages and wait.

Get off your high horse. It's not her responsibility to check pockets that aren't hers. Why would you leave anything in your pockets ever anyways, especially in dirty clothes? He didn't think. I don't even keep change in mine when I take mine off. It's too easy for something important to fall out or better yet, get water damage. He DI. FYL OP. Don't listen to dirt that take a well intentioned thing and make you feel bad for it. Things happen. It doesn't even say if the fight was her fault or his so even more so all of this^

Wow that's great he's so chill about it, I guess in the end it was the thought that counts, OP :)

This is a toilet seat up down argument. They are his clothes and his things, his logic. I don't think you are wrong but he isn't wrong either. It's a preference call and its up to the people in the relationship to work out a solution.

This made me laugh harder than I should have; because I know about the rice trick but the Asians are a new twist I wasn't expecting!

Probably the funniest thing I've read on fml. Bravo sir!

ABlindMan 17

55- You seem to be the only one on a high horse, I've yet to see you post a positive comment, you've posted shit talking others every time.

That's why you should check pockets before washing clothes.

epicgamer 18

Fun fact: Not everybody can afford a new phone! go **** yourself

@#32. She broke his phone. She has to replace it. Even if she doesn't have the money it's her fault and her duty to replace it.

Look on the bright side. At least you know the keys still work. So you only semi-ruined two things, rather than 3. 33.9% less damage than you thought you caused!

Sometimes you need the clicker to keep the car alarm from going off on your car. When the clicker was going out on my old car I couldn't just unlock the door with the keys if I'd used the clicker to lock it. It was an older car, so I know a lot of the newer ones don't have that problem but we don't know anything about this guys car. All we know is he's going to be very upset when he finds out what happened to his phone.

It could also be one of those digital keys that cost a lot to replace and probably completely break after being waterlogged.

anlong93 9

I hate those things. If the key to our Dodge Journey breaks, a new one is $400, because they have those special chips. It is so ridiculous.

I just thumbed you down because you had some uncalled for math in there. You should be ashamed.

kernousse_fml 13

actually more like 3.3333333333333333...3%

Mathalamus 24

ouch. this is gonna suck for you. he is gonna be mad at you for a while. maybe you can buy a new phone for him.

You didn't bother to check? Sorry OP but you deserve it.

Let's hope the argument was not about OP not respecting and improperly handling other people's property ...

I could understand not noticing something small and light such as the odd bank note, but how do you miss the weight of a phone, wallet *and* keys?

easy to miss if youre just dumping them in at once. a large load of clothes can be heavy so the keys and phone probably wouldnt be so obvious. unless you put each piece of clothing in one at a time....

You should always load a washer one item at a time. Not only to make sure they are all empty, machine washable, etc. But also to make sure you balance the load.