By ScarletSpirit - 10/08/2016 10:10

Today, I was flirting with a really cute girl and we ran out of things to say, I got so nervous with the silence that I asked her if she had hiccuped lately. FML
I agree, your life sucks 16 966
You deserved it 4 483

ScarletSpirit tells us more.

Hi there, OP here. We talk frequently on social media now and we still flirt a lot, now "have you hiccuped lately?" is our opening question to each other :)

Top comments

Ah, yes, that is #23 in "Tripartita's List of Quips and Questions to Seduce Human People" between #22 - Did you used to lisp as a child? and #24 - Do you like the names of different fish?

Comments

Nailed it. I'm sure she thought it was funny, don't sweat it

I bet a lot of people prefer to be asked silly questions than try and talk to someone who makes them do all the work in the conversation. Maybe she was just as scared of looking awkward as you! Having said that there's nothing wrong with a companionable silence now and again, if you focus on relaxing your body language instead maybe it will make you both feel more at ease.

That's classic :) I used to get super nervous of the same but around everyone; was really shy years back. Now I've come to realize, regardless of who they are - people are just as uncertain of you as you may be of them. You just need to carry your confidence to laugh as yourself, & put yourself out there just the way you are No one can be you :) Guaranteed she appreciated you trying to carry the convo tho haha

We've all been there. When desperate to continue conversations I've said the strangest things! but we're all human, I'm sure she found it cute :)

Some people find it cute when others are shy, or you could've just said it was a joke or something

I actually think that that is kinda really funny. and a good out there thing that is harmless to ask. whenever I run out of things to say I ask if the person wants to play the random question game and see what conversations start off of that.

snarkytruth 37

Just the kind of person I'd want to talk to actually. Funny in an endearing way and an easy ice breaker for an awkward moment. That's usually when a guy will either try too hard or say something mean or rude to try and impress or be funny. Or worse try to get nasty. Total turn off. Everyone has a funny hiccup story and can share a list of things they've tried. If she's a decent person she will totally understand and be grateful you kept the conversation going. More than likely she was also scrambling for something anything so say and was relieved. If she had a negative reaction to something as normal and minor as that as that or judged you for it that's your cue to move on. It's certainly nothing that fyl.