By sierraleeannee - 09/02/2014 06:44 - United States

Today, I was breast feeding my son. Out of nowhere, he bit my nipple hard, causing me to scream in pain. He giggled with my nipple still between his teeth. FML
I agree, your life sucks 46 284
You deserved it 7 249

sierraleeannee tells us more.

OP here. I can't believe this got posted before I went to bed! Hahaha! For some reason this got edited out, but he ended up smacking me in the face after he bit me. He's 9 months old so he thinks it's hilarious obviously. And I'm not sure why it didn't show my name, I posted it while logged in. And as for the person who said time for bottle feeding, he won't take a bottle, which is fine with me! He's teething so he tends to bite more when he is. Glad to know my son has made people laugh :)

Top comments

yoursucklives 36

Comments

Just as long as you keep abreast of the situation and this habit is nipped in the bud.

SilentKnights 7

That sounds like it hurts, sorry to hear that OP. For those of you who say that the infant might be too old for breast feeding, it is best to breastfeed up until the age of 2 years old. Breast milk is a lot easier for babies to digest, has essential nutrients and boost immunity. It's also for the benefit of the mom as it can help as a natural birth control, reduce chances of cancer and emotional bonding. My professors in nursing had us memorize the benefits of breast feeding so we could teach our patients who are first time mothers :).

Not to mention the insane calorie burn for the mother. A lot of babies are lactose intolerant, though, and do better with formula. When I was a baby, I was actually allergic to milk, not just lactose intolerant. That was fun.

acerredrum 23

You do know there is very little lactose in breast milk right? Most of the lactose in breast milk comes from the mother consuming dairy products. So if your child is lactose intolerant and you are breast feeding the easiest solution would to be to cut out dairy.

skyeyez9 24

I breastfed my kid till she was a year old. 2 years sounds way to long imo. I dont want my child to be attached to my tit for 2yrs. It is exhausting, and your schedule is tied to your boobs filling up, getting sore and having to feed to relieve the pressure. After a year, I was beyond ready to wean her. But if you prefer 2yrs and it doesnt bother you, go for it. After my daughter yelled "NOOO dada, dats MY num nums!" When he laid his head down on my chest while we were on the couch...yeah

yscpunkchick 14

Actually breast feeding does NOT act as a natural birth control. You still need to use some form of birth control unless you want your children that close in age.

CaitiieBuggs 23

Breast feeding has been found to help reduce/stop ovulation in the majority of women. There's been research about it following women in developing countries who don't have access to birth control. Once they wean their child is when they get pregnant again, that's also when the child switches to a different person to co-sleep with.

SilentKnights 7

I've also been told that it acts like a birth control. Which is fine with me because there's not many options while you're breast feeding! Thanks for the comments :) it was uncalled for and I was actually starting to doze off so I didn't think twice about screaming! Haha :) and I'm pretty it sure breast feeding has stopped my ovulation because I haven't had my period in over a year. Sorry tmi but hey had to say it somehow ;) haha. Also the calorie burner is a huge help too! I'm down 40 pounds since I've had my son (I only gained 20 in my pregnancy). And my son is sensitive to dairy so I don't eat much dairy now.

buttcramp 21

OP, you could get an IUD I think. After the baby comes the mother still has a little pudge on the belly and breastfeeding helps get rid of it (idk the scientific reason behind this but its what I was told by my lactation consultant and it sure worked for me!)

yscpunkchick 14

So I just did a little research... the general consensus is that yes, breastfeeding can act as a natural birth control but it is only effective up to 6 months after birth. Planned Parenthood's website says this but after I had my son 2 years ago, I was told by PP, my OB, and the WIC nurse that it is NOT as effective as people believe. Especially if you need to supplement with formula or if you're not able to be there to nurse every 4 hours. Every missed feeding reduces the effectiveness.

#157 I have heard only bad things about IUD as well as the mirena. All the stuff they stick inside you always seems to be the worst for you. :( but when I'm done breast feeding I'll end up getting on the pill again :)

buttcramp 21

I've been happy with my mirena IUD but yeah they do have some negative reviews. Also, I was told that I could get pregnant again after delivery (and I was breast feeding)

1jordan1 11

That's ridiculous. A child shouldn't be breast feeding if it can ask it's mother itself for food. God, mothers these days. They base every single thing off of the Internet and what a doctor may think is healthy.

kirrra 11

#208 I didnt realise you had a close personal relationship with every mother on earth. ..u must b one busy person with all that plus your judgemental thinking taking up all your time.

#208 get off your high horse and quit judging other mothers.

may651 14

That is gross. It is creepy to breast feed till your child is two. It show that u cannot stop. If you kid has teeth start getting them off milk. Said person who works with kids.

Babies can ask for it from day one. Hunger cues are a thing, ya know. Look it up. Should we stop giving bottles to babies who can say "baba"? You clearly know nothing about childhood/infant nutrition. Take a look at what all the major medical organizations worldwide have to say about it. Do not breed.

Some babies are born with teeth. You should not be working with kids. Go learn something. I doubt any parent would trust you with their child if they saw your FML profile and this comment. Twat.

1jordan1 11

Don't you dare call me judgmental. EVERYONE who has replied to this is making a judgement, so that's extremely hypocritical. Don't put words in my mouth either. This is why I hate commenting on here; people are idiots.

1jordan1 11

My high horse? Assuming that is a judgement as well. So when you stop judging me, I'll stop judging you. Until then, I suggest you stop being a hypocrite.

#235 you are being a judgmental idiot, shut your mouth before you spew off some more dumbass nonsense you know absolutely nothing about. Do your damn research before talking shit on mothers who are doing the best thing they ever could for their babies. Maybe you should stop commenting then and stay off FML. You're the idiot here! ;)

heyhooker 11

Oh no! You think she is going to be on of those women that breast feeds til the kid goes to college? I'm sorry but if the kid has teeth or teeth coming in its time for a change.. Just saying

Read #18's comment and you'll understand why I'm not stopping breast feeding "just because he has teeth". If I stopped now he would be put on formula (which I don't feel like spending the extra money for it when I have perfectly fine boobs) and that's pointless. Babies aren't supposed to be off breast milk or formula until age 1, and tons of moms go past a year with breast feeding. And I plan on being one of them. :)

damnit1989 16

OP good for you! I wish I had been able to breastfeed past 3 months. Ignore the judgemental comments, and do your thing

Heyhooker, you're an idiot. Plenty of babies get their first tooth before 6 months, and babies are supposed to be exclusively breastfed until at least 6 months. The APA recommends continued breastfeeding through at least the first year, and WHO says to breastfeed at least 2 years. OP is doing something completely normal and healthy. OP, good for you for keeping it up while it's getting tougher! I'm due and July and hope nursing will be as successful for baby and me as it has been for you. Keep it up, and ignore all the misinformed complainers!

@21 hey. I'm thinking of weaning my son when he gets around college age, too early right, is that okay with you? Because you know it's going to effect your life so much and I'd hate to put my baby's needs before yours. How dare us breastfeeding and extended breastfeeding mothers forget to be sure everyone else is comfortable before our babies. Said no mother ever.

i dont really get that fml, arent all the kids around that age who have already some teeth will bite you at some point, or is the fml because he laught, because a laughing baby is obviosly a fml

My younger brother used to do the same thing to my mother. Not only did it make him giggle, but it used to also get a giggle from me (I was 4 at the time)

When I was breast feeding my son and he would bite me I would stop feeding him and set him down for a minute (not long, seriously like a minute). He would cry, which sucked, but it only took a couple times before he stopped biting :)

sourgirl101 28

He laughed because he was amazed by "cause and effect" with your reaction. It is very common to get bit, especially when your baby is teething. I can't stress enough how important it is that you let him know "No"! and that he hurt mommy and that whenever he does it again, he will be taken off! Also don't wait to nurse when he's starving because hunger can make him frustrated and want to bite thinking the milk will come out faster. I breastfed my daughter until she weened herself at 11 months. I pumped on one side and nursed with the other at the same seating so I was able to save/freeze plenty of milk for her in the future. It was an amazing bonding time for us.

Dodge4x4Ram 46

My 6m old has started that too :( grinning while biting