This is a Nearly FML. It’s an FML, nearly. It got positive votes from the users, by wasn’t approved by our team.

By Hannah - 07/11/2017 22:00

Today, I wanted to ask a coworker on a date but he was out, so I left an invitation to drinks and an origami flower on his desk. Thirty minutes later, HR emailed me saying that such behavior is unacceptable and I may lose my job. Romance is officially illegal. FML
I agree, your life sucks 3 863
You deserved it 2 084

Top comments

It has been for a while It is illegal to do such a thing to a woman so of course it is illegal to do such things to men. Why do it during work time anyway? You are there to work, not pick up dates. Do that outside of work like a mature adult. You deserve it.

I'm pretty sure most jobs DON'T allow coworkers to date.

Comments

It has been for a while It is illegal to do such a thing to a woman so of course it is illegal to do such things to men. Why do it during work time anyway? You are there to work, not pick up dates. Do that outside of work like a mature adult. You deserve it.

As a woman who worked in two different trades I had unwelcome suitors left and right. I only wish it was illegal. It's only illegal if they get gross or are too persistent and it become harassment.

it isn't illegal and asking someone for a date, is not a bad thing to do or harassment in my opinion unless you know they aren't interested or you are in a position of power over them.

It can be seen as sexual harassment, which is illegal.

exileonmainst 16

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
exileonmainst 16

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Wrong. Origami (折り紙, from ori meaning "folding", and kami meaning "paper" (kami changes to gami due to rendaku)) is the art of paper folding.

Unless you're stalking the guy and as long as you can take no for an answer if there is one, then there shouldn't be an issue?? The company you work for must be such a pain in the butt. :/

I'm pretty sure most jobs DON'T allow coworkers to date.

It sometimes depends on whether the pair in question have anything to do with each other, like managers and subordinates. If they don't report to/ get reported to by that particular level, it should be fine.

My job doesnt care unless its between a manager and a low level employee lol

Most do not and even for those that do allow it, most avoid it since it creates a lot of drama if more than two people are involved, or if things do not work out between the two. I have coworkers who have dated and it ended real messy, then there are a bunch of them who sleep around openly with each other (barf), regardless of whether they are single or married with kids as well. Ick!

Aj Bryant 14

Me and my fiancé work together and half the people in my department are either dating, married, or related

chessu 21

We've got lots of couples at work. Are you their direct manager by any chance? If so, I can see why it might be an issue and declaring the relationship at HR should to the trick. However, I assume you're still in the early phases of it, so maybe keep it on the down low for a few months and if it really is serious offer to officially declare it (basically guarantee the company that if you break up, they won't have any losses).

Not surprising, a lot of businesses frown on interoffice romance because of the issues to morale and efficiency it can cause if it goes bad.

Most workplaces don't allow co-workers to date each other. I don't know how you were unaware of this. youre lucky you didn't lose your job.

OP, I'm not sure why so many people are hating on you for trying a creative way to get a date. I personally would've been flattered as a guy. I'm the progressive type, though. It could've been handled differently than using HR if he wasn't interested.