This is a Nearly FML. It’s an FML, nearly. It got positive votes from the users, by wasn’t approved by our team.

By New stay at home mom - 08/02/2019 04:00

Today I tried desperatly to keep my girls quiet while my husband took a nap after working a night shift. He decided to work nights. I have a two year old who wants to play because that's what kids do. He woke up pissed for not sleeping at all and yelling at me for not controlling our kids... FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 259
You deserved it 192

Top comments

I'm nowhere near your situation, therefore I'm not going to attempt giving any form of advice nor blame, OP I'm just wishing the best for you. You are a strong person, you know, keep it up, friend.

sparx1_1 12

My ex used to pull crap like that - one of the many reasons he is my ex. If he cant sleep through the extra noise of toddlers, then he has no business taking a night shift.

Comments

Maybe you could have taken your child(ren) to a park or other kid friendly area and then afterwards try explaining to your husband how hard it is to keep a 2 year old quiet during the day and suggest he work a regular day shift until the kids are old enough to be in school all day.

I'm nowhere near your situation, therefore I'm not going to attempt giving any form of advice nor blame, OP I'm just wishing the best for you. You are a strong person, you know, keep it up, friend.

Gofuckyourself 24

This is probably one of the kindest and purest responses I have ever read on here, you're so sweet! 🤗

I get being cranky about not being able to sleep but blaming you for kids being noisy is too far. He may need ear plugs and black out curtains. May be a white noise machine.

how would black out curtains help with the kid that is probably inside....?

The more you're able to isolate yourself when sleeping at weird hours, the better. not directly would it help but if you're fighting less to get to sleep you can be asleep sooner and deeper if they do get noisy. I have a 10 month and a 4 year old. Good luck keeping them quiet if they don't want to be lol. The fact he doesnt seem to realize that is troubling to me.

Because too much light -> not enough melatonin -> shallow sleep -> easier to be woken up by sound

sparx1_1 12

My ex used to pull crap like that - one of the many reasons he is my ex. If he cant sleep through the extra noise of toddlers, then he has no business taking a night shift.

Paul B. Gyurcsanszky 14

He’s the one who picked the night shift. If he cannot sleep during the day he needs to either get some ear plugs or work the day shift. Normal people sleep at night and are awake during the day. The night shift was made for people who are single and don’t have kids or their kids are grown up and out of the house. It’s not your fault or your kids fault that he chose to work at night.

Burle 17

Seems like you're saying single people aren't normal 🤔

normal means Most people. do you sleep at night or the day? being single has nothing to do with it.

Gofuckyourself 24

Honestly, sometimes it's not a choice and you get stuck with it for a certain period of time. One of my bestfriend's is dealing with this right now.

I’m gonna go with FYL. It’s one thing to avoid ear plugs when you have no one to wake you. Not much you can do about a 2 year old making noise. However I’m curious if he just took the night shift OR they pay more (often do). If he just switched to nights and it’s for a higher salary give him a few weeks. I’ve had to transition several times in a previous job, not fun. He should make it up to you but he’s going through this to make your families life more comfortable. Then he could have grabbed nights to avoid his parental responsibility. That makes him a wretched human being. Unfortunately you are kinda stuck as you did mention multiple kids. While some would suggest divorce that’s not that simple. You can’t bleed him into poverty so it may not be beneficial depending on his salary. So yeah I’m with the earlier post. It’s not a fun situation and I’m sorry you have to live through this with small kids.

alienblair 4

1) Control your kids 2) Take them outside of the house (a park, a mall/indoor playground, a friend's house, whatever) Have some sympathy for your husband

ari330 21

Have sympathy, he CHOSE the night shift, knowing that he has a two year old at home. I get talking the child to the park, but she's supposed to do that every day for several hours because he made a dumbass choice. Then you're saying "control your kid", do you know how hard it is to make a 2 year old be quiet? Furthermore, now the child has to shut up throughout the day and can't play like a normal child because he did something knowing it will affect everyone, but did he care? No. So why the **** should the mother care? The night shift is for single people or people with grown ass kids, and he did it to himself and should only be blaming himself and not his wife. If you have a wife, I feel sorry for her.

There’s a huge difference between out of control kids and naturally loud 2 year olds. The only way to “control” a toddler to keep them quiet enough is to not have one. And why should OP service her husband for a decision he made that he obviously didn’t think through? Also, I’m assuming that since she’s home with the kids, she’s the one doing the housework. How is that supposed to get done if she has to be out of the house every day so her husband can take a nap?

There are so many straw hat arguments here, that it's ridiculous. This site always jumps to defend women no matter what, and always paint a picture of them being perfect and the man being a horrible beast. Sure he definitely overreacted, but if he has a job that involved hard physical labor, not sleeping can make it so you have very little patience. Maybe he has to take the night shift, because clearly she isn't working as she is home taking care of the kid, making him the sole provider. Maybe financially they need the extra money, maybe she overspends? There are so many reasons why he might have taken the job, but to fit your narrative you choose to believe he did it just because he felt like it and never took anyone else into account. You just immidiately assume the woman is perfect and the man is a monster. Which is the case 99% of the time on this site.

maroongrad 13

Yep. My husband has bad dust allergies. He needs to have the carpet vacuumed regularly. Instead he decides to spend all afternoon on weekends laying down on the couch for a "20 minute nap" which he never gets because dog/birds/phone/kid/life. So he's there for hours. And I don't vacuum because he's trying to sleep. Now he's having bad allergy issues because I only have time to "hit the high spots" instead of a good thorough cleaning. And I refuse to listen to him b*tch about it. He's a grown a$$ adult and I told him why I wasn't vacuuming and he hasn't changed. Nor does he get to scold our daughter for normal, fairly quiet levels of 4 year old noise. Basic logic and reasoning skills and a grasp of cause-and-effect are hallmarks of being a grown up....

maroongrad 13

The man involved is mad at a 2 year old for sounding like a 2 year old. And mad at the other parent for, essentially, having a 2 year old that is alive and being two. He's an ass.

im a stay home mom of 2 kids and my husband sleeps during the day. he sleeps like a rock unless the oldest causes problems. sometimes it doesnt help that we live with his parents and his parents sometimes hate when i try to displicine the oldest when my husband sleeps.

Erbtosis 10

That boi needs to reevaluate his attitude and prioritize his life.

You’ll get full custody easily when you decide to leave this asshole.

God this comment says so much about you.