This is a Nearly FML. It’s an FML, nearly. It got positive votes from the users, by wasn’t approved by our team.

By Yusquad - 04/04/2017 22:00

Today, I took my daughter on vacation. I wanted to surprise her by bringing her favorite uncle with us. At the airport, my daughter and I met with him. My daughter started bitching and threatened that she wouldn't board the airplane until I got rid of him. She's 21. FML
I agree, your life sucks 4 557
You deserved it 1 198

Top comments

Perhaps something happened between them that makes her uncomfortable. Talk to her privately instead of judging her.

Randysoclassic 1

Your daughter is 21 she obviously knows whether or not she's comfortable in a situation, if she doesn't want to travel with him she might feel unsafe around him. I wouldn't blame her for this or look down on her for it.

Comments

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

As someone who hates most of my family, if I was in this situation, and that's the response my parents gave me, I would gladly, without a doubt, 100% stay home

Randysoclassic 1

Your daughter is 21 she obviously knows whether or not she's comfortable in a situation, if she doesn't want to travel with him she might feel unsafe around him. I wouldn't blame her for this or look down on her for it.

Perhaps something happened between them that makes her uncomfortable. Talk to her privately instead of judging her.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
00sweeney 2

Did it ever cross your mind that he might have abused her? And that she might not want to discuss it in front of him, at the airport? I'm not a religious man, but I pray you don't have children, or that any children look to your for protection.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Perhaps you should look at your view of people. You automatically assume a 21 yo is acting like a child for no reason, and say they all act that way. If you know anything about trauma than you'd know it can cause you to act aggressively when in fear. This women clearly didn't want anything to do with that man. And as the mother thought it was a fav relative that means they probably spent a lot of time together. So clearly something happened that the mother isn't aware of because the daughter even said she'd give up the vacation to not have to be near that man. If she didn't give a reason but was still willing to make a scene than it must have been something extremely hard to talk about. Ponder that.

00sweeney 2

I think it's pretty clear that I'm replying to the person who commented after, not the original poster.

As a person in her early 20s, **** you

Mr_Mole 24

I like how everyone assumes the Uncle is a perv. Us men are so highly thought of.

They're​ saying it's a possibility not because he's a man, but because a 21yr old got incredibly upset about having to be around him. When a grown adult goes off like that about having to be around someone, you need to stop and ask yourself why, regardless of the gender.

HanBanana15 9

Not everyone is assuming he's a perv, most are simply saying there has to be a reason the daughter is acting like that. That doesn't necessarily mean something inappropriate, they could've had a fight or something. The point is that these comments are trying to get OP to be a good parent and talk to her about it instead of judging. I'm sorry you felt that there is a gender bias here, but please do realize that you were making assumptions as well when you thought everyone was calling the uncle a pervert.

00sweeney 2

My God. You really don't have a clue, do you? He's clearly NOT her favorite uncle. Perhaps you should act like a parent and find out why.

Smartlead 0

Thoughtful of you to care of your children in such way, I hope next time you can be sure of your daughter preference before surprising her on any occasion. Much love!

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
CassyM 6

I agree that that is a strange thing to do. I would definately talk to her about what is bothering her. I feel like there is something you are missing.

soooo no one ever dislikes someone in their family? seems silly to automatically assume he's a pedophile because your adult daughter didn't want to vacation with him. ask her why because that's your job as a parent but I wouldn't be shocked if her answer was as simple as he's annoying or insert any other of the million generic reasons she could not want to spend vacation with him. talk to her