By reality_stricken - 04/11/2009 14:00 - Guam

Today, I told my boyfriend I was afraid he would no longer love me when he returned from basic training. Hoping he would reassure me his feelings wouldn't change and we'd still be together, he replied instead, "Shit happens." FML
I agree, your life sucks 36 430
You deserved it 8 147

Same thing different taste

Top comments

the1truebob 0

I can understand why she'd be devastated. But, honestly, that's a ridiculous question to ask. If you honestly have to ask that type of question, be prepared for heartbreak, because you're not going to last. Have some trust in your relationship and support his decision. Don't make his leaving for basic training about you. Asking a question like that shows him that all you care about is whether or not he'll still care for you. It's not about you. It's about him. Stop being so selfish.

Sounds like a typical female to say something she doesn't mean to get a man to say something he doesn't mean..... YDI

Comments

Maybe he is stressed thinking about other stuff, don't take it personally

I love the divide between male and female comments on these kind of FMLs. Just tell him to STFU, GTFO and make you a sammich!

lmaoatyourlife 0

How is he supposed to know whether he is still going to feel the same about you?! Fair enough you wanted some reassurance, but tbh you just sound whiny and insecure.

suesblues 0

If you're worried about your man's feelings changing while he's at basic...surrounded almost entirely by other men...well I think that's a whole other issue.

Shmoopie4 0

Sounds like you'd be better off with him away at basic training, anyway...but in his defense, what you said was just asking for it. I HATE how my gender fishes for compliments and reassurance like that. So freakin' annoying! If basic training doesn't ruin your relationship, your insecurity will. Trust me on that.

I got news for you. He doesn't 'return' after basic. He'll get stationed somewhere. And deployed. And then stationed somewhere else, and deployed again (and again). What part of "I'm joining the Army" don't you understand?!? I think I can see why he's leaving you.

so it doesnt sound like the men are being sexist im gonna comment with my input. YDI for attempting to manipulate him into saying a compliment and im happy he said what he said!!