By elizacandle - 27/03/2015 06:58 - United States

Today, I stopped by my local bar to maybe meet some new people. I sat in between two groups. Within a minute both groups got up and left. FML
I agree, your life sucks 27 682
You deserved it 3 183

elizacandle tells us more.

elizacandle 29

OP Here ...well to a lot of you, Thanks for your sympathy! This was supposed to be an emphasis on how hard it is to talk to people in the real world! This actually happened and u sat at a spot that was empty, I didn't squeeze anywhere. it was likely coincidental but it did feel lonely when the half of the seating area became empty at once. gets lonely pretty quick.

Top comments

You cant blame yourself for that one, it's most likely a coincidence. Find someone who seems to be there alone and strike up a conversation. Bar goers are usually more than friendly.

its okay OP, I will still love you in the same, unconditional way.. Just... don't be weird about it..

Comments

Don't fret about it much...sometimes when people have groups of friends already they take time to accept someone new or even consider someone... maybe you should try approaching people who are alone? it might be easier to strike up a conversation with them and then go from there :)

Maybe they were practicing for an evacuation drill..? Maybe..? No. Okay.

elizacandle 29

didn't have time to say anything :#

What do you expect when you try to forcefully inject yourself into a group of friends... Just try to talk to another person on their own. Way easier too.

When I was 18 and first started going to the local with a few friends we found it full of old men who are all tattooed and pretty intimidating... Now I'm 22 and can honestly say that some of my best friends are these 60/70 year old men...

To be perfectly honest OP, I'd find it weird if I was at a bar with some friends and someone randomly came over and sat next to us. But good for you for trying.

The right people to connect with at a bar are the ones that don't get up and leave and accept you for who you are. My suggestion is to become a regular. Other regulars will open up. If that doesn't happen after a couple of weeks. It's time to find a new bar.

OP, I don't want to be unkind, but just plonking yourself down between two groups isn't a good way to make friends. Sometimes when I've been chatting to a friend in a bar, some guy will try to attach himself to us and it always just feels awkward because he's interrupting our private conversation. It might be better if you try to make friends in a meet-up group (you can find tons on the internet) or maybe by joining a club, taking a class, or volunteering somewhere. If you really want to target people in pubs, try making a few friendly comments to the person standing next to you at the bar rather than waiting for someone to invite you to join their group. Good luck! :-D

The FML says you just sat between them.. Did you say anything? Or did you just creepily sit there? Because if you just sat there and didn't say anything, why would they have a reason to stay?

elizacandle 29

I mean I asked if anyone was sitting at that empty seat, sat and was about to attempt conversation before they left.