By thelordofpies - 17/10/2014 15:24 - United States

Today, I rode my new motorcycle to work for the first time. As I accelerated, I felt a sharp pain in my neck. Apparently, poisonous spiders can actually get trapped inside motorbike helmets. Duly noted. FML
I agree, your life sucks 39 650
You deserved it 3 480

thelordofpies tells us more.

Hey OP here, thanks for all the support guys. Luckily I didn't get into an accident. I was able to come out of the whole incident without a scratch but a massive itchy red welt. The doctor said I'll be fine in a few days time. :)

Add a comment

You must be logged in to be able to post comments!

Top comments

DarkSmoke591 21

My first thought was Spider-Man

Obvious solution. Soak your helmet in raid before you ride, every time.

Comments

Yeah, some spiders are!

trellz17 19

Yes dear, poisonous.

Maybe #1 was just trying to say that the spider was technically venomous, not poisonous. As far as I know, venomous things (like the spider) bite, sting, or otherwise inject their venom; poisonous things hurt you when you ingest them!

Poisonous!!!

I think I read that poisonous is when ingested OR touched.

I think you are right, #23. Either way we know what OP meant. :)

LavenderCrow 12

Poison must be ingested or absorbed, venom must be injected into the skin or bloodstream. Spiders are venomous.

iAmPaul 49

Technically it was venomous. Rule of thumb to remember the difference between poisonous and venomous: If you bite it and you die, it's poisonous. If it bites you and you die, it's venomous.

amberv61 22

What if I bite it and it dies? Am I venomous?

#33, No, you'd just be Bear Grylls.

ShadowlessSpear 21

No, you crushed it.

nellbell414 13

Actually there are not poisonous spiders, only venomous ones (which are all of them) the degree of the venom just varies

Maybe poisonous will be our always

Oh my god! Who the hell cares???

incoherentrmblr 21

Apparently a lot of people do, especially the syntax nazis...

asnakelovinbabe 16

Spiders are all venomous to some extent (or as OP says... Poisonous) so labeling them as such is rather redundant. Some of the less venomous spiders have a more "stinging" kind of bite that hurts right away. It hurts more but it does hardly any damage. Some of the more dangerous spiders will bite you and you will never know it even happened until 24 hours later when your skin starts turning black and caving in. It all depends on the venom and what it is designed to do. Some venoms are geared toward inflicting pain or nerve damage, some are necrotic (flesh rotting), some go after your blood and there are more still, and many are combo packs. I took a bite from a Woodlouse hunter and it stung like hell for an hour but that was the extent of the damage. I'll take that over a silent but deadly venom any day.

Shadowvoid 33

I like #33's enthusiasm, but I am equally scared of her

...and KittyLahv wins the internets!

Yes 33, haven't you seen the tumblr post?

As it has promptly been said before..

Astrobomb 21

who the fuck cares about technicalities?! the man was in pain damn!

That is dangerous one ;)

Omg le funni maymay!

No shit Sherlock

You dun say

Oh, feel better dude! That must suck, but I hope you didn't manage to wipe out.

Obvious solution. Soak your helmet in raid before you ride, every time.

I've never had any insects in my helmet before.

I had a wasp fly into my helmet while riding. I had never pulled my helmet off so fast in my life. thankfully the impact knocked it unconscious and I wasn't stung.

or store your helmet better... it only takes one bite to learn a lesson...

Hahaha that would so work but smell bad man

DarkSmoke591 21

My first thought was Spider-Man

DontClickOnMe 28

Wow, that's scary. I guess you'll start checking inside your helmet before you put it on now. At least that's what I would do. I hope you get better soon and on the plus side, you might turn into Spider Man, now!

They live for the thrill, man!

juststephhere 23

That would suck, maybe check next time!

TheDevilWearsJoe 8

The reason why I violently shake my helmet before wearing it.

Hiimhaileypotter 52

I also shake my shoes out when they're been in the garage before I put them on too, especially in the winter. Don't want any creepy crawlies around my feet, especially venomous ones - no, thanks.

I hope you didn't have an accident. and I hope you're okay. nothing like pesky spiders to ruin the day.