By sonnyrosa - 09/02/2013 12:39 - Canada - Dartmouth

Today, I had to drive to my workplace in blizzard conditions. Now that my 12 hour shift is over, I can't get out of the building, as the snow has blown into large drifts in front of the doors. I have to stay overnight until my next 12 hour shift. FML
I agree, your life sucks 36 787
You deserved it 2 623

sonnyrosa tells us more.

I'm sure there are labor laws that are supposed to prevent stuff like this, but when the roads are closed, and no one can get in (even the buses have stopped running, and a lot of people reply on those to get to work), there's nothing that can be done. I'm stuck here, but I'm getting paid for it... hopefully, this snow crap stops before tomorrow morning, otherwise, I'll be stuck again. It's still coming down like mad :S

Comments

conholio33 28

That sucks OP hope you get to go home soon

I can see that storm out of my window...it's pretty nasty. I hope something works out OP, because that really sucks. Canada can be a difficult front sometimes...

At least I'm not the only one who didn't get that!

It's the name of the storm. Because in Canada, we get as many blizzards as the US gets hurricanes. Maybe even more.

Why the hell was a tropical name given to a blizzard?

Just keep shoveling, just keep shoveling...

112: I live here and this is the first time they've ever even named a winter storm.. It wasn't even THAT bad, we only got about 15 inches.

112 - I heard The Weather Channel came up with the name Nemo as a marketing ploy. TWC has all the judgment of a 5-year-old who names her unicorn Horny. Good luck dealing with Horny, OP... er, Nemo. (Sheesh, now I'm doing it.)

Having spent this morning helping Dad find the front porch, I know how crazy this storm has been. Try to find somewhere quiet to get some proper rest, and hopefully the plows will have you out of there soon enough. Also? Make coffee.

You should have done what every sane person does when it snows - call in sick, make some Irish coffee, and laugh at the idiots who struggled through the snow to get to work. Now you're that idiot.

My job doesn't let us call in when there's snow =( We need either a serious family emergency or to be dying.

Ditto. I work security and snow or not... someone has to be here during scheduled hours. But now I get to work straight through for the next 12 hours! 24 hour shift, I'm not sure what I've done to deserve this... apparently having a vehicle with 4 wheel drive :(

Not everyone works at places where you can just "call in sick" at any given time. I work in the ER, and if everyone did that, imagine how many lives will be lost and how many people will become more ill if my coworkers and I let weather control our lives. It is a matter of where your priorities lie, so rather than insulting those who put their jobs before their own safety, remind yourself that there are people out there that are much braver than you.

theslimshadylp 6

21- you got a few extra pounds I think you need a diet and not so much hibernation.

Yeongji - Thanks for the education about how ERs work. What would I ever do without you. There are several flaws with your argument - first, ER nurses and techs call in sick all the time. ALL THE TIME. Second, would you really want sick nurses and techs spreading their illnesses around to emergency patients, who tend to be elderly and sick to begin with? No. Third, I've slogged through more shitty weather than I'd care to discuss just to get to my hospitals on time. So don't go questioning my "bravery" or my work ethic. It was a ******* joke. It's not my fault you have no sense of humour. I see that the doctors aren't the only idiots working in the ER.

Did Doc Bastard tell a joke? No of course not! Why would he have a sense of humor and go around telling jokes, or being sarcastic? Seriously people get it through your thick skulls to look one level deeper than what's on the surface.

Says the little boy who thinks he's Eminem... I don't know what I will do with myself... some little troll called me fat...

@21, why would you go completely off topic not to mention out of your way just to insult somebody.. I've only come up with three reasons. 1. You're 11 years old. 2. You're a shit talking bitch troll. 3. You're a shit talking bitch troll....

Ya 38. Why do you have to be such a douche?! Besides, I think ops pretty sexy!

RedPillSucks 31

@sonnyrosa Don't sweat the assholes. You look cute and I suspect you're not hurting for male attention. The tatas look fabulous

KiddNYC1O 20

There are jobs where you are penalized for calling in sick... Like mine.

You better be getting compensated. And it's ultimately their fault if they made you come in to work... ...Wait a minute, are you the only employee? You don't work with *anyone* else?

On weekends, there is only one security guard on duty. The guy who was supposed to be here now has to rely on the buses, and they've stopped running, and the poor guy's without power at his home. There are a lot of downed power lines in the city, lots of homes and businesses without power. Thank goodness for the generator!

You're the one stuck at the office overnight, and yet he's the "poor guy"? You must be one of the nicest people ever.

I would've turn back around and went home and called in. Your own fault

skyeyez9 24

Is anybody else stuck at work with you? What about your boss?

JR_Goes_Rawr 11

Well at least you can't be late right?

If you have another shift coming up, staying overnight might not be such a bad thing. We do 12 hour shifts, too, and my co-worker stayed at work overnight since it was pointless to drive home in this weather.