This is a Nearly FML. It’s an FML, nearly. It got positive votes from the users, by wasn’t approved by our team.

By Darthstormer - 01/01/2017 03:02

Today, I had my daughters for New Year's Eve, since my ex-wife and her boyfriend were laid up with bad colds. According to Facebook, however, they were having a great evening out at the bar toasting in the New Year. FML
I agree, your life sucks 10 371
You deserved it 1 783

Top comments

More like f your daughters lives because the way this FML was phrased it sounds like neither of you wanted to spend time with them for New Years. At least your with family OP!

Why are you complaining about having your own children to chill with. To me that's winning

Comments

Talis99 26

Yeah, but you had your daughters, right? So Happy New Year.

I'm going to give OP the benefit of the doubt that the FML is that he was lied to, not that he had to stay home with his daughters. My dad used to lie to my mom all the time about why he couldn't watch my brother and me, and it always pissed off my mom. Not because she had to spend time with us, but because our father wasn't respectful enough (to us or to her) to either be honest or make time for his children.

Why are you complaining about having your own children to chill with. To me that's winning

Maybe it wasn't the fact that he had his child. Maybe it was because they lied, and are obviously asshats.

But she's his ex, why should he care? She is very well allowed to do whatever the hell she wants. Them being asshats is even more of a win for OP as he can use it as leverage to get custody of his daughters more often (assuming he actually wants them and didn't submit the FML because he got them forced on him).

@25: Because you make custody arrangements and she lied to get out of them. Of course he should care.

No, she isn't allowed to do whatever she wants, she is a parent with responsibilities. She has custody but only wants them when it is convenient for her? She is the mother and she obviously wanted custody. It isn't okay to pawn them off on the dad because her children inconvenienced her. If arrangements were made that would be one thing but to lie to "get rid" of her kids is not okay.

@35 and @38 Amen. @25 do you have children?! I sure hope not.

Again, if OP actually wants the kids then he can use that as leverage to get more (or full) custody of them. Which in the end works out better for him.

Lalala, often custody arrangements are made based on work responsibilities. Usually when the mother gets more custody rights than the father, it's because she was the primary caretaker to begin with, and both parents mutually agree not to change that. OP may not be able to have full custody of his daughters because he's too busy earning the money that provides for their needs to supervise them. So, no, OP doesn't "win" when the mother of his daughter lies in order to shirk her parental responsibilities.

More like f your daughters lives because the way this FML was phrased it sounds like neither of you wanted to spend time with them for New Years. At least your with family OP!

Depending on the age of the kids, New Year's Eve might not mean much to them. Nothing wrong with the parents having a night out without them.

Guess what? When you are a parent, you realize your nights out without them, especially New Year's Eve is very rare. And the dad should be happy. Other parents would celebrate ringing in the new year with their child.

I actually was glad to not have kids last night. I had an actual date night with my husband. Granted, my kids are 8 weeks old, 21 months old, and 5 years old. They don't care. I got to sped some alone time at dinner and a house to ourselves without kids in 5 years. OP is probably more upset he got lied to since his ex did not want the kids because she wanted out. I bet he wouldn't have cared he had his daughters (unless he had plans and she made him cancel them. Fathers need a break too...), he might be very irritated at the fact alone that the EX LIED instead of saying, "hey I want to go out for the night, and it is my night with the kids. Would you mind taking the kids?" Instead she said, "Hey my boyfriend and I are really sick. Take the girls so they don't get what we have. We can't get out of bed." Either way, she lied, and he probably cancelled plans to only find out he was lied to. Maybe this was her weekend and he had the kids all week. Short notice is hard to find a babysitter. Trust me, we have tried when work has called us in before.

It's shit they lied to you, but you got to see the new year in with your kids. I hope that was fun for you and them.

You and your daughters spent the holiday together. That's all that truly matters.

And the snacks matter. Albeit a bit less, but it bears mentioning.

Be happy you got your child to celebrate the new year, instead of a whiny bitch.

Everyone seems to be angry at the father, but not the mother who lied about being sick so she could go out drinking and not spend the holiday with her children. That's a pretty crappy thing to lie about, and OP may have had to cancel his own plans because he thought he was helping her out. Since we know nothing about either parent, or their relationship, perhaps we should just cut OP some slack. Even though I'd enjoy spending time with my kids, I'd be pretty annoyed if I were in OP's shoes.

Chaith 16

It sounds like the company of your ex-wife and her boyfriend is preferred over your daughters, what the what?

guci101 14
QueenKia 5

That's called being a parent.

mariri9206 32

It's also called being a parent to honor your custody agreements and watch your kids when you've already agreed to have them instead of pawning them off at the last minute/when it's convenient for you, all so you can go have fun.

Be happy you got to spend time with your kids. However, call your ex-wife out on her crap. It's one thing if she would've asked for you to have them, it's quite another to lie about it. Also, if you have a shared custody agreement and this was her designated day, you need to bring that up. She lied to get out of her own responsibility, that's violating the agreement.

I agree with this. Don't let her get away with it or else she will continue this behaviour.

mamasquirrel78 2

Unless OP is the one always too busy to have them when their supposed to and the ex has to lie to get a night to themselves. Lots of people commenting and passing judgement- no one knows the situation between the two.