By quietecho95 - 20/03/2015 15:40 - United States - Denver

Today, I got a call from the ICU. Apparently, my boyfriend has been there for 3 days and I'm the only person who didn't know. Even my parents have been to see him. FML
I agree, your life sucks 34 179
You deserved it 5 388

quietecho95 tells us more.

This is the OP. Actually I had a baby a few months ago with him. We don't live together and it's common for him to disappear for days at a time. He's okay. It was actually a suicide attempt and he's in a clinic now. We were texting but he didn't tell me because he didn't want me to freak out because this makes 6 attempts in a year. My parents didn't tell me because they were leaving town and knew there was no way I could take my infant into ICU.

Comments

PANDORUM89 21

See I never would've understood how this could happen until I met one of my friends. Her and her boyfriend could probably go a whole week without talking, its still weird to me but seeing is believing. However I'd expect someone to be like hows your SO? and my confusion should prompt an explanation.

I could imagine having a relationship with nothing more than a texted hug and kiss most days for that long. Not everybody wants or needs daily chats 365 days a year.

Are u in ICU now? I'm wondering what his reaction was when he saw you.

ThePandoricaOpen 18

I just LOVE how some of the commenters assume OP is a terrible SO for not trying to contact their boyfriend for 3 days. MAYBE, just maybe, they like having some time away from eachother, (yes, maybe even three days, (GASP)), and OP just didn't think anything of it until they found out he was in the hospital.

Time away is understandable but completely going MIA on your significant other? I mean, even if I wanted my space for 3 days I would still be in touch. Anyway, still doesn't explain why OPs parents didn't bother to mention the situation.

In my first year of uni and my boyfriend worked 12 hour night shifts and lived over an hour away, so it was normal for us to go a few days without seeing or hearing from each other. We were both super busy and awake at different times of the day. I think it made our relationship stronger, "absence makes the heart grow fonder" and whatnot.

But did you not send texts out during that time 62? Like a good night text, or a "text me when you get a chance" or "how was your day" or "I love you," something like that? Usually when couples can't see each other for awhile, even if they want space, they still just send a quick text now and then.

Vanessa_Leeann26 17

You didn't wonder where he was?!

jeez I would wonder where he was?! obvious she doesn't care about him...probably her parent knew along she doesn't care about him???...

Has anyone considered that the boyfriend may have not been in any condition to be calling anyone, hence why she got a call from the ICU instead of him. Being in ICU to begin with indicates that her boyfriend some pretty serious problems. Having said that, it's pretty shitty that everyone just assumed that OP knew and did not tell her, especially her parents!

Well obviously the boyfriend wasn't in any condition to be contacting OP. But her parents were there visiting him, and I'm sure they would have been able to contact her and let her know. I know if something happened to me to put me in the ICU, my mom would call my boyfriend and tell him right away. So either the boyfriend told them not to tell OP for whatever reason (if he was able to speak), or her parents just didn't want to tell her for whatever reason. Be nice to have a follow up with more details from OP.

buymevickis92 26

maybe nobody wanted to worry you but someone should've told you. sorry OP.

and their excuse for not telling you...?

I feel stupid asking but what is an icu?

AlaskanChild 10

It stands for Intensive Care Unit. It's where people w/ issues that require constant medical attention go

I really think this needs a follow up, there's a lot of different ways the story could go- and I want to know why nobody said anything.

I'm surprised you even went 3 days without keeping touch with your own boyfriend