By quietecho95 - 20/03/2015 15:40 - United States - Denver

Today, I got a call from the ICU. Apparently, my boyfriend has been there for 3 days and I'm the only person who didn't know. Even my parents have been to see him. FML
I agree, your life sucks 34 179
You deserved it 5 388

quietecho95 tells us more.

This is the OP. Actually I had a baby a few months ago with him. We don't live together and it's common for him to disappear for days at a time. He's okay. It was actually a suicide attempt and he's in a clinic now. We were texting but he didn't tell me because he didn't want me to freak out because this makes 6 attempts in a year. My parents didn't tell me because they were leaving town and knew there was no way I could take my infant into ICU.

Comments

What kind of girlfriend doesn't realize she hasn't talked to her boyfriend in 3 days? ydi

As a parent who also had a mental illness, I want to point out that we are not all out to hurt our kids or partners. My kids are what keeps me going in occasions where I'd rather just give up. They inspire me to get well and do better so that they do have me around. Having the right support from friends and family is often exactly what is missing in the lives of us that deal with these illnesses. It's aggravating to read that although the guy has never done anything to justify it, OP is worried he might do something to hurt her or her child. Abusiveness doesn't require being mentally ill, and being ill doesn't automatically make someone abusive. Instead of support we get to hear things like "I'll be with you once you're better." Would you tell someone with diabetes that? Or cancer? Or a heart condition? I lost a parent to cancer when I was a kid. Should we then say it is wrong to have kids if you have cancer because you might die? If you love someone you stick with them through good and bad. Discrimination.

I'm not trying to discriminate. And it's not just because he's depressed I'm scared he might hurt us. It's the words he's said its his actions. I also have anxiety towards men that I have not worked out. But saying stuff like "I should stab you because you called when I was in the middle of my game" worries me. He has gotten worse. He has not wanted to see our child or wanted anything to do with me. I thought he'd get better after I had my son but it seems to only get worse. He has never hurt me or my son physically but that doesn't mean he won't. It'd be different if the baby made him want to keep going or even made him get out of bed and not be so mean. But he doesn't. Instead (the days he does get out of bed) he hangs out with drug addicts and some chick he randomly sleeps with. But apparently that's okay because he's depressed and bipolar. "He can't control his actions". There's a lot to the story that I haven't written and I did reword what I meant under that comment because it did sound harsh and wrong. If I were to write everything out itd take me days. I've been loyal and raising a baby for 6 months on my own. I'm allowed to have a life and not cater to his every want and desire when he's rude and does whatever he wants. I'm supporting a baby on my own. And for being 19 years old I'm doing a damn good job. My son shouldn't have to worry about his dad committing suicide or if he's even going to show up for events. He missed every doctors appointment, not because he was busy, but just because he didn't want to go. He didn't go to any of my ultrasounds. Nothing of the sort. The only reason he was there for the birth was because I told him I wouldn't talk to him again if he didn't show (childish I know). During the birth he complained because it was "taking to long".. I'm not discriminating I'm not saying everyone with problems shouldn't have kids. I have diabetes, I have so many stomach problems and I can't even name them. I was told I probably couldn't have children. But I managed to have a wonderful little boy. So you can think I'm rude or whatever. I'm honestly just trying to figure out life and raise my son. Also I have stuck by him this entire time trying to help him. I've tried everything I can possibly think of.

If it's honestly that bad OP, you need to move on for yourself. Enjoy being a mom and when the time comes find someone who will treat you right. You obviously deserve to be treated better.

wrenavery90 12

So why was the icu calling you? You're not a blood relative so they legally can't share any info about him.