This is a Nearly FML. It’s an FML, nearly. It got positive votes from the users, by wasn’t approved by our team.

By NotSoGreatGatsby - 29/09/2016 12:45 - United States

Today, I discovered that dogs can menstruate. Today, I also spent an hour scrubbing a 3-foot-long bloodstain out of my mattress that set in while I was sleeping last night. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 519
You deserved it 282

Top comments

Well you obviously didn't do your homework before getting a female dog. She's on heat, if she mates she will get pregnant. Best to get her fixed if you don't want puppies or adapt some nappies for the meantime.

And this is why you get your dog spayed.

Comments

Well you obviously didn't do your homework before getting a female dog. She's on heat, if she mates she will get pregnant. Best to get her fixed if you don't want puppies or adapt some nappies for the meantime.

And this is why you get your dog spayed.

qteabutt 12

Yea most female mammals menstruate, just get your dog fixed and it'll stop.

Actually only primates 'menstruate', all other female mammals go through the oestrous cycles.

In other animals, that cycle is still called "covert menstruation," it's different from true menstruation, but it's still considered a type of menstruation. And anyway, it doesn't happen just in primates, elephant shrews and bats also menstruate the way we do.

oh gosh, I don't want to see the results of an elephant's menstrual cycle

he said mammals not primates, and bats elephants etc are mammals but I agree with everything else

Sorry but if you don't know how dogs function you didn't prepare enough for the responsibility of having one.. Makes you kinda deserve it though I remember the pain of when my own dog had her period. An (often unwritten) rule is that you never bring your dog to the dog park when it's in heat. The male dogs can smell it from far away and it will drive them crazy. Their owners can have a hard time concealing them as they are so eager to mate.

Of course they do, they're female mammals? My boyfriends parents have an un-neutered female Great Dane. Now that is a mess at her time of the month.

You didn't know female dogs go into heat? Have you ever had a dog before?

Get your animals fixed people. Not just for their health, as it prevents the common testicular and ovarian cancers, and comfort, but to save the lives of animals in shelters. You do not need to breed your animals unless it's for a very specific purpose, like seeing eye dogs, that's overseen by a greater organization. There are so many animals that need homes already.