By oldshitnewshit - 22/10/2013 21:11 - United States

Today, I decided to try LSD with a few friends in a safe environment. As an artist, I had planned to spend my trip doing psychedelic paintings and had all my supplies set up. Apparently I spent most of my time in fetal position muttering about the "evil easel" and never even touched my canvas. FML
I agree, your life sucks 23 893
You deserved it 57 071

oldshitnewshit tells us more.

Looking at the comments I see we've got some seriously mixed opinions about me. So, first off: Hi, I'm Juniper, I'm 23 and I'm in art school in the US. I have never tried LSD or any other kind of "hardcore" drug before this. My friend had some tabs that he had used before and asked me if I wanted to try it. I agreed, only after doing extensive research, and determining that the risk was one I was willing to take. During that research, I stumbled across some beautiful works of people who had done art under the influence and thought perhaps I could have some fun trying that as well. I'm an art student and always open to new things. My parents were also hardcore hippies back in the day, and they've told me about their psychedelic experiences. I knew my risks. I have no plans to take LSD again, although I'm not currently suffering any adverse effects aside from water tasting kinda metallic for the next 24 hours (this took place about a week ago.) And the FML is actually not entirely true, but exaggerated for comedic effect. The paranoia and muttering did not last the entire time, only about 15-30 minutes. My entire trip lasted about 9-10 hours. One of my friends decided to remove the easel when she saw that it was making me upset. I think its large, angled presence in the room was off-putting. I actually spent the majority of my time having a good trip, my friends took great care of me. And despite not touching my canvas, I made some radical drawings. I did my research, I knew my risks, I set myself up responsibly. I'm not looking for sympathy or support– I just thought I'd share my kinda funny story. Those of you who are calling me an idiot are entitled to your opinions, but you're not insulting a wall. I'm a human being that makes choices for myself. Those of you who abstain from drugs, you should be proud! That's wonderful and healthy, but please allow and do not judge me for my own choices. My experimental phase is not harmful or offensive to you. And to my fellow art junkies: I wasn't expecting to create a masterpiece, this was for fun. I'm a learning artist!

Top comments

Drugs are harmful for you regardless of how 'safe' the environment is perceived to be.

Apparently it wasn't a very safe environment if even your easel is evil.

Comments

Well it can actually cause brain damage that can not be fixed.

JMichael 25

Yea..not the best idea on the planet OP.

monnanon 13

yes a lot of great artists and muscians took drugs but these people had real talent. taking drugs will not turn you into Picasso or Dali it will more often than not turn you into a snivelling wreck. have faith in your own talent and leave to drugs alone.

graceinsheepwear 33

I can't decide whether you mean this as a compliment or an insult. No thumbs for you!

Doing drugs and "expecting" an outcome, geez OP totally YDI drugs are stupid and pointless. Hope your trip was horrible

25 here and I've never tried illegal drugs and or had a drop of alcohol. I absolutely see no point in either and believe all excuses for consuming them are absolute bs. You can have fun without them and if you're doing them because you're unhappy, they won't make anything better.

People who brag about never trying drugs or alcohol are as insufferable as the "420 blaze it fgt" people who think they're better than everyone else for smoking weed. Get off your high horse. (Well... if you don't do drugs I doubt you'll have a 'high' horse... But you get the idea)

Get off your high-horse the last thing somebody on drugs needs is a person who has no idea what it's like to tell them how bad it is. Yes it's stupid, and LSD is especially dangerous but toot your own horn somewhere else. We get it you're perfect.

lilsagestar 2

You are precisely why the rest of us artists get a bad name. Drugs aren't a requirement or a help to creating art. In fact, it has led to the destruction of some of the greatest works of art in history, including the vandalism of Michelangelo's La Pieta, as well as cut the lives short of profoundly creative people who could have gone on to revolutionize the world. You're an idiot and I hope you never do this again.

DarkPrincess2k13 4

I wonder who downthumbed your comment. Same goes for #25 as well. If you are depressed or down, seek medical help instead of doing hard drugs.

hard drugs? I wouldnt consider lsd a "hard drug".....

God damn this website is full of PC bible thumpers, OP didn't ask for sympathy and you guys don't need to talk down to and act like you're better than them, there's nothing wrong with trying it in a safe environment, at least they didn't do it at the local park or something, LSD is pretty harmless in moderation

Saying that drugs are stupid has nothing to do with being PC or a bible thumper, as you so stupidly put it. I'm against them because I see the negative effects every day. I've seen countless people killed by people on PCP, heroin, LSD, marijuana, and alcohol.

So? people die in car crashes sometimes, doesn't mean no one should drive cars anymore, people sometimes die choking on food, doesn't mean we should stop eating food

Eating is essential, and driving has become somewhat essential. You can't compare something that is needed, like food, to something not needed, like LSD.

Ok, here's my thing Doc. That's what YOU see, those are your experiences and those are largely based on the field of work you're in. You are only seeing when things go wrong. What about those of us who know people who have never had an issue? Who take a substance, experience its intended effect and then resume living and are never impacted in any negative way? I know lots of peope who've tried various substances and aren't addicted, dead, psychotic or otherwise. I have yet to meet a person who has. What about al the people who are harmed by legal drugs? How many people do you see who are having horrible side effects from their doctor prescribed medication? I'm in no way saying your opinion is wrong or less valid, just that you are incredibly biased and should at least acknowledge that for every person that comes into your ER suffering from some ill effects from drugs, there are hundreds more you're not seeing because nothing more remarkable than being high happens to them.

#72 - When you talk about Marijuana within your sentence of witnessing countless people dying, what do you mean exactly? To my knowledge, Marijuana by itself hasn't killed anyone and its impossible to over dose on that stuff as well (unless you're talking about someone driving under the influence when they shouldn't because of a potential accident that can end their own or another persons life...which to me would be a bad judgment call since its the same thing as drinking and then choosing to drive knowing what can happen with that risk). However, if you're talking about Marijuana laced with another drug then I understand what you're saying because at that point its no longer in its original form and now has the potential to kill someone or even cause an over dose from the aid of whatever drug it can be laced with. I hope you do not take my comment as trying to start an argument with you (I apologies if it comes off that way). I am genuinely curious and just wanted to have that part of your comment explained based off of what I currently know about Marijuana's effects, dangers, etc. My condolences in respect with the people you have witnessed passing away from taking drugs.

#117 Of course Doc knows about the potential harmful side effects of prescription medication. He's even mentioned it in his blog. But as a doctor who constantly sees these harmful side effects and constantly have to help people in these situations, I think he has a good reason to say what he is saying. I'm sure a lot of other doctors would agree with him. I may not work in the hospital, but as a biochemist who knows how these things work, I would agree with him. I am also a professionally trained classical and modern dancer and I've been to college. I've seen some pretty bad stuff. I just don't think drugs is worth betting your life on hoping to be one out of hundreds to have a "good experience." But if you do, then by all means go ahead. Take them.

It's okay to try LSD once; I did. Oh no wait, I didn't. Or did I? No I don't think so. Yup, I certainly have not. Sorry, I can't think straight; I'm on LSD. I'VE SEEN SOME SHIT, MAN...