By neonstarr - 30/10/2013 10:41 - New Zealand

Today, I could think of more 'pros' than 'cons' for why I should start drinking again. FML
I agree, your life sucks 39 202
You deserved it 7 145

neonstarr tells us more.

Op here. Surprised this got posted. Sorry to burst some the bubbles but I'm not an alcoholic, I stopped drinking because of medical reasons, turns out I have gluten intolerance which caused damage to my gut, and by association killed my stomach lining and throat. Wasn't pleasant. Also I'm a chick. And since I'm better, I was weighing out pros and cons at 330am. If I ever do have a drinking problem Ill use some of the advice :)

Top comments

Rainhawk94 27

Did you take a shot for every pro?

There may be more pros, but maybe the cons outweigh the pros?

Comments

cheshirecat13242 32

Stay strong, OP.. Or just get hammered :-D

bobo_the_bear 5

Don't do it. Drinking never solved anything except turning a "no thank you" 4 into a " sure, why not" 7.

resist it brother, seen way to many lives go down the drain from alcohol.

TrinityNevada 11

When your butt falls off, take it to a meeting! I'm sure there are meetings in y our town that you can go to. I know it's hard, but you may have to walk to one if you don't have transportation. If that's the case,try to remember how many times you walked to get booze in crappy weather and walked long distances. Also, in the middle of the night, you can get online with stayingcyber, which is a support group for AA members online. I would suggest you get some phone numbers and then spend some time making "practice calls" to them - that way, you have a rapport and it's easier to call in times like these. good luck!

How's about this, weigh your pros and cons once again. Then say **** it and join me at the pub for a cold beer and some fresh cooked chips, cheers mate and remember. Moderation is the key to every aspect of life

The biggest con of all is feeling guilty afterwards. I don't know your reasoning for not drinking but either way you'll feel better if you stick to not drinking. Stay strong OP.

if you can drink in moderation its ok but if not you won't be the first person to be drowned in a bottom of a bottle

You may be too liberal with what counts as a "pro." Often what seems like a "pro," at face value isn't really that much of one, or, especially in the case of alcoholism, it may not be necessary for alcohol to be involved in that "pro." Example: People may say "I can drink with friends," but it's also possible to hang out with friends and NOT drink. If alcohol is ever a "necessity" in any situation it's not a good thing. I, myself, don't understand everyone's obsession with becoming high or wasted. It's much more valuable to have fun without mind altering substances.

Op here. Surprised this got posted. Sorry to burst some the bubbles but I'm not an alcoholic, I stopped drinking because of medical reasons, turns out I have gluten intolerance which caused damage to my gut, and by association killed my stomach lining and throat. Wasn't pleasant. Also I'm a chick. And since I'm better, I was weighing out pros and cons at 330am. If I ever do have a drinking problem Ill use some of the advice :)

Vodka and rum shouldn't have any gluten in them either. Don't know how you feel about hard stuff but one of those usually works for me.

I stopped drinking for the same reason and I have to say speaking from experience that just because you feel better does it mean if you do start drinking that the problem isn't going to come back maybe its best if you don't drink for your health.

Were all 32 of your submitted FMLs related to alcohol?

Comet_Candy 23

I like your display picture, OP :3.

cheshirecat13242 32

Well then, drink to your health, OP! Or stay sober if its gonna ruin your gut, stomach lining & throat... Yaay sobriety?

raeepressley 12

I don't drink either, partially for the same reason. I have an allergy to different sugars in a lot of alcohols. It causes stomach pains and really bad muscle aches and tension. It's hard to determine which ones have what I'm allergic to, so I just avoid it altogether. I feel much better to be honest with you. Regardless, whether you choose to drink again or not, it's your decision, just weigh it out.

Julesie 9

Hey! My sister and I have celiac! We will never be able to drink beer, though I'm not too upset cuz it smells like horse piss anyway. So yea, I know how annoying it is to not be able to eat stuff, good luck!

frizz101 22

If you have a gluten intolerance look for gluten free beers made with Non-GMO ingredients, they do cost a bit more and you can only ever find the good ones at an organic market, but if you only drink occasionally then it shouldn't matter too much. I don't drink, but several family members of mine have gluten intolerance and will drink gluten free beer without having symptoms flare up.

Please don't endanger your life OP. Beer is nice but I think most choose life over beer.

@106 really good vodka is made from potatoes.

rldostie 19

Ciroc vodka is made from grapes so it's grain free (be careful with vodka, lots are made with grain). Hard ciders are awesome, there are plenty that are low sugar and also don't cause that heavy bloated feeling beer gives you. Wine is gluten free, and tequila is an awesome gluten free option. There are plenty of options for people who can't drink beer (and even gluten free beer but I don't care for it). Personally, I'm a Ciroc or hard cider girl.

mansen 15

tequila? gin? heads to kitchen cupboard, blows dust off alcohol bottles...um...tequila?

My mom and sister have celiac disease there are still some things that are safe :)

There are a few that are gluten freecouch one I know of off the top of my head is fox barrel

I'd like to see what some of your "pro" items were. And if you were just looking at numbers or giving each item a value and adjusting the numbers to reflect that. "I'll die if I have more than x amount with my required meds" should obviously count more than "I won't get passed up for parties for being a non drinker" just using random examples.

Coeliacchic93 21

I'm a coeliac and it's not worth risking your health. especially if it was that bad to begin with. ciders don't have gluten in them, there is plenty things you can have without causing damage.

i get ya! i have a heart problem that SHOULD keep me from drinking...