By popularonion - 15/04/2016 04:09 - Canada - London

Today, I came to class, prepared with my notes for the debate we were having today. My teacher then told me that I would be representing the opposite side I chose, despite her saying we could choose our own sides. This happened minutes before the debate started, and my notes were useless. FML
I agree, your life sucks 20 838
You deserved it 2 203

popularonion tells us more.

Hey guys, OP here! I finally made an account because my FML got published! (Wow! I didn't actually expect it to!) While I agree with the comments that say I should have reviewed debate points from the other side, it was a pretty sudden thing for my teacher to do (I think she told me 5 minutes before the debate started) and not only did I not have very helpful notes, I was kind of shaken up by the change, which definitely didn't help me. The way we were doing the debate was one-on-one, with both people arguing their points at separate times. She only switched me, and that was because the side I originally chose had 2 more people than the other side, and she thought I was a strong enough debater (even though I really don't think I am) that I could easily adapt. In the end, everything was fine, I managed to write a few points down from my original notes, and I stumbled through them for the length of the debate. (Two minutes for each person, so it wasn't too long) My teacher apologized, but said I did well nonetheless. Thank you to everyone who commented!

Top comments

Hate to say it but that was probably the point. Your teacher made everyone debate the opposite sides so that he/she could see how well you actually can debate, without pre-planning. Pure, on the spot debate, even for something you disagree with (going on the assumption you chose the side you agreed with more before she made everyone switch). Tldr it was probably on purpose.

Your original points may not have been great, but I'm sure your counter arguments were fantastic with your understanding of the opposition

Comments

Hey not necessarily! Just say why your new side did to compete against each one of your points!

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Switching sides in a prepared debate shouldn't be that difficult. If you prepared really well, you've already anticipated opposing arguments and counter-arguments. It sucks, especially if you're an inexperienced debater, but adapting and quick thinking is important in debate (and a great life skill).

linzfinz337 22

#30 You could've left the "kid" behind, makes you sound like a bit of an ass. Especially since you're only 2 years older according to your profile.

I agree completely 18. In a true debate, you should know how to argue the other side. Without knowing what the other side might throw at you, you could be caught with your pants down.

Your original points may not have been great, but I'm sure your counter arguments were fantastic with your understanding of the opposition

Hate to say it but that was probably the point. Your teacher made everyone debate the opposite sides so that he/she could see how well you actually can debate, without pre-planning. Pure, on the spot debate, even for something you disagree with (going on the assumption you chose the side you agreed with more before she made everyone switch). Tldr it was probably on purpose.

where does it say everyone had to debate the opposite side sounds like just op from the post, that would mean the rest of the class has the advantage of pre prepared notes.

Aerobic_Exorcism 13

The post says "despite her saying *we* could pick *our* own sides". I'm pretty sure OP is referring to the entire class by using these pronouns. That's how I read it, anyway.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Even more, I'd say it shows how critical the students were of the information they read. If they had prepared well, they'd look up the arguments of the opposite side as well. If they had just gone to theiropinion.org and copy-pasted to get their notes they wouldn't do very good in this format.

I'm guessing it's more likely most of the students chose the same side so to balance, the teacher moved a few over

Ah I'm sorry AspieDork, I know your 16 years on this have allowed you to transcend the understanding of your typical Teen or Young Adult. Attitudes like that just hurt perception of young people, are are incredibly disparaging

An attitude that addresses every teen as lacking knowledge is also disparaging, wouldn't you say, #25?

Sorry, didn't at all mean to imply all teens are lacking knowledge, just that one teen labelling all other teens as entitled and unable unable to cope when things don't go their way, is unwise. I myself am 17, so I suppose I am being a hypocrite in a sense, but so is life

I understand where you're coming from. Sad as it is, there is some truth to #14's statement.

You just have to adapt. You should already have known generally what the other person was going to argue and counter it

Your notes should have given you a clue as to what your opponent was going to use against you, so they should have been a bit more useful than useless. Knowing your opponents strategy is always a good thing!

I think the teacher was trying to prove a very important point about completely understanding both sides of the argument before debating. It will be a very useful skill in real life!

that's actually how debates work. you're supposed to be at least two levels deep, and have counter-counter arguments prepared. strip off one level and you can actually argue for the opposite side.

Your research should have given you a good understanding of the issue as a whole enough for you to formulate a coherent argument for either side. Also, here's a tip when it comes to preparing for a debate: find the most valid points you can against your position, develop an argument from that position, then develop a refutation of that argument. This will let you not only understand both sides of the issue, but you will have a very strong argument for your side. Had you done this, you'd have had something to go on during your debate.

That's a rather important lesson. I spent 7 years podcasting and a huge part of our show was debate. Regularly, for debates sake, you have to play Devil's Advocate and argue a position you don't necessarily agree with. That's why it's less important to pick a side and more important to get properly informed on both sides.