By AdamTB - 21/07/2015 17:45 - United States

Today, I attended a new class at college. It was a class to help people with Asperger's adjust to college, which my parents pushed me into taking. It was incredibly condescending and insulting, and it felt like a class for preschoolers. My parents won't let me drop the class. FML
I agree, your life sucks 26 901
You deserved it 3 048

AdamTB tells us more.

AdamTB 26

Huh, surprised this got published. Anyway, a lot of the comments are about me just taking control and dropping it and that’s probably not going to change, so I’ll just comment the reason why I haven’t now. Due to my Asperger’s, my parents feel like I am not self-sufficient and I cannot make my own decisions. Naturally, this is completely false. However, due to college being ungodly expensive, I’m living with them until I can become financially stable. Now then, onto the problem. Dropping the class is a great idea in theory, but that’s not going to happen in practice. Trust me, if I could then I would. If I drop the class, my parents will definitely know. They will then proceed to, for lack of a better phrase, bitch me out for dropping it without consulting them (which I have done, and they refused to let me drop it). They are not abusive, but can be relentless and admittedly scary at times. I’d rather take a demeaning class than have to deal with them. Does that sound like a childish reason? If it does, I don’t blame you. I’ve always been constantly told that I’m mentally and emotionally a few years behind normal people. Sometimes, I don’t know whether to believe it or not. Regardless, my best option is to just move forward with the class no matter what happens. Also, this is probably going to be brought up so I’ll just talk about it now: no, I cannot move out. They will not let me as they do not believe I could survive by myself yet. Even if I were to just run away and move out, I still don’t have the finances to buy a even an apartment room and continue with college.

Top comments

You're an adult. Make your own decisions

It's actually rather mature, honestly. You're doing the right thing, it doesn't cause you that much trouble and it makes your parents happy. Sometimes we just have to do things we don't want to for the sake of those who care about us.

Comments

Sometimes part of growing up requires we do some things that we would prefer not to. (for instance a job you may love may have some aspects that you really don't like. Or "paying you dues" as you work your way up in your career.) You ARE on your way to becoming independent. If this makes your parents happy try to look at it as an easy A and therefore helping your GPA. Who knows, you may actually pick up something that actually does help you somewhere along your path. College quarters fly by. You'll be done with it before you know it and your parents will be pleased.

If you're in college and still taking orders from your parents then you deserve everything you're going through.

MzZombicidal 36

I once wrote a horrible essay on a standardized test and had to take a "special" course in writing. They thought I was a genius...lol

Wow, that's awful! People with Aspergers aren't "different"! I have it and I'm not any less smart than anyone else my age!

While I feel for you, welcome to the world of developmental disabilities. They deal with that daily.

As Forest Gump once said, "life is a box of chocolates. You never know what you're get." And he's very right, but you have to think on the bright side. As mean and as controlling as they may be, always think of the good they've done for you. They're just worried about your well-being. That's all. Though is may be hard, just think, the class is a one time thing. Take it and pass with flying colors. Don't think so down, alright?

I don't get it, shouldn't you be suffering from this in order to get in the class?

ezrajab 22

I have my own disability and I never would sign anything that lets anyone else control what I do

As someone else with Aspergers, what your parents are doing is completely unfair. Many students with aspergers are successful on their own without much intervention. I received full-tuition scholarships from two different universities and currently have all As at my university. I have extended time from my university for assessments, but am otherwise on my own. My parents tried to force me to get a single in the dorms my freshman year, but I won that battle. My roomate and I got along great.

Congrats for you. That's still a highly unusual seat you're in though. You're obviously much smarter than most people, regardless of any neurological "issues" or not. I'm one of the people with aspergers that has horrible memory and can't do anywhere near well enough in school for a scholarship :. I also hate most people. I wonder if maybe you have it less severely than others. I know a lot of people with Asperger (myself included) and the degrees in how it affects each our of lives is pretty vast.

Awe, thanks. My scholarships are partially due to my music. I actually struggled quite a bit in high school because my school was super rigorous (well known magnet school generally regarded as one of the top high schools in the US). I struggled to get Bs in several classes and even got a C+; I had Bs in most of my core courses. I have horrible executive functioning skills and often struggle with time management. Don't be so hard on yourself. Everyone is affected differently.

xbaconator9000x 16