By pabj208 - 06/03/2015 00:07 - United Kingdom - Cardiff

Today, during a meal out with my team and bosses, I wasn't drinking. The waiter complained, "If you're not ordering alcohol, how am I supposed to take advantage of you later?" I'm not sure what's worse, the rapey pre-dinner joke or the awkward silence as my colleagues looked on. FML
I agree, your life sucks 34 921
You deserved it 2 511

pabj208 tells us more.

OP here. Thanks for the comments everyone, you'll be pleased to hear that today I did phone up the restaurant posing as 'a member of the girl's team' (which is technically true), as I didn't want to identify myself. I can take a bit of banter as much as the next person, and although I'm sure it was meant as a joke, it certainly crossed a line. I thought I'd say something to his manager in case he repeated his actions to someone less capable of standing up for themselves than me! You never know who he might try it with again... The (female) owner was horrified and said she was furious with the waiter, who had apparently worked there for 20 years. She'll be having a chat with him later on and offered me and 'the girl' (also me!) a free pizza each. I don't think I'll be taking them up on the offer! Oh, and my team were lovely about it- after the shocked silence they all agreed that he crossed a line and were very supportive :)

Top comments

You should tell the manager. Thats not acceptable behavior from the waiter.

Comments

Checked The wanted posters around?

1dvs_bstd 41

That's when OP, you say 'no manager? how am I supposed to get you ******* fired?'

Oh, what the actual hell? That's incredibly ****** up, I hope you let a manager know before leaving. If he makes comments like that to women with PTSD from similar situations, it could be disastrous. Either way, not a remotely acceptable thing to say to anyone.

nonsensical 26

I can only assume he was just trying to flatter you, but he did say possibly the creepiest thing he could've said.

I think he meant take advantage of you financially, like draw some tips out of you lol But that's still an odd way of saying so.. If he meant otherwise, definitely report it :/

I hope you asked to speak to the manager immediately and reported this highly inappropriate comment. If this was a business, chances are the OP and her team members/superiors were dressed in business attire - ie, this isn't just a group of friends hanging out (not that his comment would have been any more appropriate if they were). Creep needs to be given a warning, if not fired outright for that behavior.

report the waiter and get his ass fired. this remark deserves all the firing he can get

Your team didn't intervene? Team sucks

Imagine you're so awkward that as a pick up line you run to creepy rape jokes..