By prdp - 05/06/2013 16:33 - United States

Today, after years of training and competing, I realized that the universe does not want me to play the piano. Not only do I have hands that can fit in toddler-sized gloves, my carpal tunnel is already to the point where I have to wear a brace at night, at the ripe old age of 14. FML
I agree, your life sucks 51 693
You deserved it 4 706

prdp tells us more.

prdp 7

Thanks for your nice comments! I kind of knew it would come eventually, because 3 generations of my family have consistently had carpal tunnel, but it was intensified by my piano playing (and especially the fast music I tend to choose to compensate for my inability to reach larger chords) and made the symptoms appear at a much earlier age than any of my relatives. Luckily, I'm not JUST a pianist! I'm also an extremely avid concert and marching brass player (a female brass player? Who knew they exist?) who plans to audition for drum corps in the very near future. Classical (though I also play some jazz) piano and band are my true loves, and I know I won't stop playing piano anytime soon, nor will I stop my other instruments. :)

Top comments

Well if it's any consolation, you write well for a 14 year-old! :o

DWT 18

Being a musician can be painful. Take it from a guitarist.

Comments

For what it's worth, I was pushed into multi instrument music lessons at a young age. I hated it, being forced to practice and give up Saturdays to take lessons instead of out playing with my friends. As soon as I could make it stick, I quit. Looking back as an adult, I regret the hell out of it. Fortunately we still have the pianos and I still have my old saxophone. I'm not very good and I'll never be as good as I could have been but hey. Now that I'm not being pushed into it against my will, I really enjoy it. Moral of the story, don't quit if you like it. Switch instruments or become an EBM composer but don't give up music if you love it.

perdix 29

If you quit the piano, don't take up masturbation. You don't have the hands for that either.

You'd thing as an upcoming 14 year old that would be the real crusher

TheElBurrrito 21

Idk. The crusher for me was him being 14. That's a little too ripe for me.

Don't give up! I mean, you don't have to play professionally but don't stop playing for yourself. I have a bass and, I'll be honest, I'm not great. My hands are small, my fingers don't stretch that much and my nails are too long for good fingerpicking (even when I file them down all the way). But I still play, because it's fun and I love it. Just don't push yourself too hard and hopefully the carpal will get better too.

Take up the Guitar, kiddo! You already have a great music foundation - don't waste it! You need hardly any reach for guitar - check out django rhineheart for inspiration! Feel for you, though. This is why there are hardly any girl pianists. Sometimes does suck! BUT you are only 14, so no real harm done. Plus you can still play bar piano to pick up hotties at parties.

ginawater19 13

Maybe it was meant to be. And in your afterlife I'm sure you'll be playing the piano non-stop. But you don't write like a 14 year old lpl

Oh gee, if you're 14 you must've been an awful lot of time into this...

Here's a little something you may not know... Carnies have small hands. Every single real, born to be, carnie has small hands... so they can steal wallets and candy. Maybe you were born to be a carnie! Think about it... Traveling, seeing new faces and places, stealing wallets and scaring babies all over the U.S. It doesn't really get any better than that. Also, some carnies play calliopes... So ya always have that option.

debbster7 18

If it makes you feel better, I'm 18 and you just described me.

defectiveme 7

I had carpal tunnel by the time I was 15 from playing piano and several other instruments in band. It's been 6 years since then and it still sucks. Yeah, you might have to take more breaks, the wrists braces might be a pain in the butt, and you might get frustrated by the physical limitations that your body sometimes presents, but that is no reason to give up doing what you love. Hang in there, push forward, and listen to your heart. Good luck!

titibug823 11

carpal tunnel isnt a death sentence.... wear the brace, and there is surgery for it.