The comeback kid

By Anonymous - This FML is from back in 2009 but it's good stuff - United States

Today, I'm still coughing. I was diagnosed with whooping cough last week, which apparently cannot be treated. Basically, it appears I'm a 19th century English peasant. FML
I agree, your life sucks 41 897
You deserved it 4 644

Top comments

Sounds like #6 has it. Nearly eradicated in developed nations since the 1970s, whooping cough is apparently on the rise again because modern parents are all sociopaths/brave protectors of precious snowflake. Go, parents!

Comments

Actually, I got whooping cough and I was treated with antibiotics. It took time, but went away. Also, expectorants help get all that crap out of your lungs!

"Cough mixtures, expectorants, and suppressants are usually not helpful and should NOT be used." https://www.google.com/health/ref/Pertussis

That's what you get for not getting vaccinated! Did your parents worry you were going to get autism or something?

Yeah, I know my mom was super worried about autism when she refused to get me vaccinated for whooping cough after I swelled up with an allergic reaction after the first dose. Seriously, people, not all parents are nutters. Some parents don't get their kids vaccinated for legitimate reasons!

I had whooping couch a few years ago. It really sucks. I don't mean to sound like a stoner, but a small amount of weed really helps. I know it sounds weird, but it works. You only need like one hit every few hours. No one can even tell you are on weed. Try it.

andlifesuxagain 0

I think OP, you have been playing Oregon Trail a bit too much.. Next you will tell me that you had to ford the river in your car.

Phoenix_GAD 0

Oh my god. shut up. I was diagnosed with cough-variant asthma when i was a baby. it means once i start coughing, i cant stop w/o serious meds. ive lived with it my whole life, so shut it. its not that bad.

annamg 0

So, basically, "waa waa boo hoo for me."

giant__robot 0

The Chinese call it the 100 day cough. It totally kicked my ass when I had it. Far worse for me than pneumonia or bronchitis was. #74 Really? Just because your issue is bad, doesn't mean someone else can't comment on their issue. Why don't you shut up because there's a kid in the Africa who's belly is swollen from starvation, his mother died of AIDS and his father was killed in Ethnic cleansing. This poor kid doesn't have the stregth to swat the flies that are attacking his eyes. So just SHUT UP about your silly little cough that you get meds for. It's not that bad.

Ironic that now our peasants live alot longer then American peasants. But that's because we have Death Panels and Stephen Hawking isn't British and the NHS is part of the socialist axis of evil.

Omg, I wish people would stop talking about swine flu. It's the seasonal flu revamped to scare the masses. God. - Infact, the seasonal flu has killed more people this year then swine flu. ARRRGH.

sakurachan04 0

Yes, because the H1N1 strain is EXACTLY like any other strain of the flu. Did you miss the memo that it came from pigs? Because the regular flu came from pigs. Adurh. -_-

I -meant- that it's no more deadly then the seasonal flu, except it effects young people quite badly as well as old people. Which is good, young people today suck.

the statement 'young people today suck' is a bit general don't you think? (sarcasm perhaps: it does say you're 20)

I'm the prime example of why young people suck.

beckyb 0

It's not more deadly than the seasonal flu, but it sure as hell is a lot more contagious and has the potential to become more deadly as it mutates. Which means, if you have flu symptoms (ie: cough, sore throat, fever, etc.) DON'T GO TO PUBLIC PLACES!!!! Unless it can't be avoided (ie: you have to go to the doctor). In which case you should wear a mask to lower the chance you will infect others. Oh, and wash your hands often.

Anyway... The cost of a flu season in lives lost, medical expenses and economic impact can be severe. A recent study estimated that in the United States, annual influenza epidemics result in approximately 600,000 life-years lost, 3 million hospitalized days, and 30 million outpatient visits, resulting in medical costs of $10 billion annually. According to this study, lost earnings due to illness and loss of life amounted to over $15 billion annually and the total economic burden of annual influenza epidemics amounts to over $80 billion. Copy paste for the win. Where as there's been around 3,696 cases of confirmed swine flu, give or take a couple hundred. Seasonal Flu > Swine Flu Swine Flu = Media Scare Mongering.

beckyb 0

There will be more cases of swine flu. I'm not saying it's any worse than the regular flu, just more contagious. Especially in places where people are in close quarters often (like campus areas). This does have the POTENTIAL to be bad.

Yeah, maybe. But the media have asploded it, attempting to scare us all stiff. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqJr0WWDzwo

Whooping cough is pretty common and there are tons of remedy's out there I don't know why you call yourself a :"19th century English peasant"