Thanks, I hate it!

By poorkids - This FML is from back in 2012 but it's good stuff - United States - Auburn

Today, my daughter called me telling me she had her twin girls. She named them Juli and Anne. Her name is Julianne. Her kids are going to fucking hate her. FML
I agree, your life sucks 38 402
You deserved it 4 150

Top comments

Ooh nooo! People really should realize that their children aren't pets...

Comments

There is nothing wrong with naming your child after yourself. This way they are both names after her and they are both good names in their own right. This isn't an fyl or a ydi

I am assuming that OP has never heard of a (insert name here) Jr, of (insert name here) Sr or all the George Formans. Also, why should the daughter have to give HER children names that Grandmother would approve of, oh...wait... she did, her own. The same name that OP gave her. On that note, there was a great show featuring a mother and daughter with the same name "Gilmore Girls."

Just thought I would let you know that I was just moderating the FMLs and your daughter posted about your FML. seems like she saw it... Enjoy that conversation!

Could be worse... I know someone's who's name is Bacon

ViviMage 38

That is awesome!!! How is his bro Hamlet???

beebeeL 1

I really see no problem! other then the extreme commonality of those names in the 1st place.

When a son is named after his father...people say it's sweet but named after their mother is a no-no? I call DOUBLE-STANDARDS!!

Goodness. Simmer down a little. The OP is one person. The OP mentioned their view point on ONE side of the standard--you don't know whether or not he thinks naming boys after their fathers is a sweet tradition or a stupid one. Besides, it's a little different to name -two- kids after -each half- of your name rather than naming one kid after your whole name.

I agree with #126. The difference is that when a man names his child after himself, he usually only gives it to one of his kids. If Julianne had named one of her daughter's Julianne, that is fine. If a guy named Harrison called his son Harrison Jr., this too would be fairly typical. However, when Harrison has twins and decides to name them "Harri" and "Son", it's not really the same tradition anymore. Still, it could be a lot worse. At least they're not Eunice and Gertrude... congratulations on being a grandma, OP! :)