Testing testing

By Anonymous - This FML is from back in 2015 but it's good stuff - United States - Hood River

Today, one of my friends asked me to flirt with her boyfriend to see if he would flirt back. Knowing this was a trust test, I agreed. She got pissed at me when he flirted back and still isn't speaking to me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 29 801
You deserved it 5 543

Top comments

maggiefox 25

How old are you guys? Sounds like she's pretty immature to blame you and not him.

The whole situation seems stupid to me. What did everyone honestly expect to happen here.

Comments

Things wrong with this situation. 1.He flirted back. 2.OP's 'friend' won't talk to them for doing something they asked OP to do. 3.The fact that a 'trust test' is even a thing. If you feel like you have to test your SO to determine if you can trust them it shows a few possibilities: A)You are very insecure and need to take a deep look at yourself so you can work on it. B)They probably aren't trustworthy. C)Both A & B

Severefear 7

The friend sounds a little paranoid and crazy.

danceinconverse 25

Wait, so of they're not 12, they are ready for a relationship anyways? What?

Never get involved in someones relationship like that. It always comes back to bite you in the but.

Not a smart idea in the first place, but maybe she is shocked and really embarrassed. It really sucks when you don't feel good enough for someone, especially a friend.

I think the comment means something like "I hope you guys aren't older than 12, because if you are, it's a wonder you still retain the maturity of a preteen at your age."

Attacksloth 33

How petty. YDI If my wife decided to test me on my faithfulness like that, she'd regret it because it would be one of the most insulting things she could do to me. Almost on deal-breaker level. That to me would prove that she doesn't trust me. Thankfully, we have something called TRUST in our relationship. It's the older brother of a LOVE and FAITH. Your friend should meet him, sometime.

TL;DR: Don't test people, it only causes drama and people don't appreciate it. People, NEVER "test" your partner unless you have legitimate cause for suspicion of current cheating or dishonesty. Someone I was kind of dating in high school tried to test me on my protectiveness of her (or something like that) by telling me she was at the local park at around midnight with a friend and two 30+ yr olds (that she just met that day) and her friend was making out with one of them. I begged her to go home and be safe. She refused and said she could take care of herself. It was one of the most stressful nights I've ever had. I stopped all intentions of dating her after that. Queue about a year later and I get a text from her telling me I was probably the best guy to ever show interest in her and to give her a chance. When I asked about that night, she said she made the whole thing up to see if I was going to let her be self-destructive and if I really cared for her. News-flash: the test to see if I cared for her made me no longer care for her. Most people who are truly worth dating do NOT appreciate "tests" like these. I basically told her that either way she's a liar no matter what the truth is, and that there's a chance that she makes a lot of bad decisions in her life and I refuse to be a constant watchdog in "common sense says no" kind of situations.