Sounds reasonable

By so romantic - This FML is from back in 2011 but it's good stuff - United States

Today, my boyfriend gave me a promise ring. It was so sweet and romantic, until he said, "I want to marry you one day… but I want to date some other girls first." FML
I agree, your life sucks 44 496
You deserved it 3 613

Top comments

Ah. So actually, he dumped you. He will just come back if all the relationships with the other girls fail. Ah. You're not going back to him, right?

Comments

Inspired22 11

Wow. I really don't get that whole thing about having to date a million fish in the sea just to know that one is great. Sure, I did date a lot of fish before I found my one. But it was PAINFUL. There are a lot of assholes out there, and if you find someone that is WONDERFUL and you are so happy with and in love with, don't sit there and think..."Could there be more?" Then you have forsaken them, and you don't deserve them. What you will get is the battlefield we call dating, one asshole after another. And yes, some of you are super lucky, and your significant other took you back after you did that to them. That doesn't mean it was right. That doesn't mean it was okay. You shouldn't have to **** a bunch of assholes to know that the love of your life is great. They are great, period. Because you love being with them. And no, just because men are "horny" (and thanks a lot, so are women, it's just a damn stereotype), doesn't excuse that behavior. Men and women are on the same playing field and are equally responsible for their actions. Period.

So according to this post, I know this much about you: -You see dating as solely ******* -You have been around and never bothered rekindling with one of the first since there was no real connection -You're trying to give the OP advise, contradicting your exact life story, whereas you DID date many to find that 'one'. Long story short, if you stayed with love #1, you would have never found your 'one'. Anyone else find half of the FML replies to be this way?

Lizzy500 16

The problem isn't dating around before you find "the one". It's not about *******. He has ALREADY FOUND "THE ONE" but expects her to stay home waiting for him while he goes out and has himself a jolly good time. It's a double standard. If he wanted to take a break and let her go out and have a jolly good time too, he wouldn't have given her the ring.

I met my current boyfriend when I was in grade 6 and was instantly in love with him. We became best friends for 11 years before we decided we were ready to be commited to each other, there's alot to learn from every relationship your in, I believe it's hard to learn and grow when you haven't had a few different experiences to see diversity. You can't move standing still.

salsalover_12 5

You're the acception not the rule.

scars_souvenirs 0

Tell him how proudly you'll wear his ring on dates with other guys. ;)

CooperDelton 0

It just means he wants some adventure before spending the life with the girl of his dreams

MeMareeh 0

Promise rings are given by the young (18-21 yrs.). OP I know you feel hurt because of this but trust me this is a very good thing. The type of man and relationship that feels right to you now may so drastically change in the next 5-10 yrs. Most people don't know what they want in a partner till around age 30. Accept his ring and give yourself the same liberties he's asking you to accept. I'm guessing you're young, enjoy this time to find out who you are, what you would like in a boy friend/ husband and most importantly find out what truely makes you happy. Good luck to you on your journey OP!!!

salsalover_12 5

I whole heartedly disagree. You don't have to be a ***** to find out what you want or who you are you can find out who are and what you want through solitude some dating around is fine if that's what the person wants but people shouldn't have to be discouraged from wanting something serious there's nothing wrong with not wanting to face the unruly battlefield we call dating. As someone said previously he's not worth her time if OP wants something serious she has every right to pursue that and not waste her time with a loser that hasn't even figured himself out. If anything too much dating gets in the way of clarity because it keeps the person so busy with someone else that their thoughts can get a bit clouded or overtaken by thoughts of their partner. I know it sounds ridiculous but i've seen it happen and i've experienced it and i know first hand that it can lead to codependency because if you don't know who you are then you start to rely on the other person more and more for an identity and it can lead to clingyness as well. My main point is that if you're that uncertain about who you are it's more beneficial to spend time in solitude,collect your thoughts explore your hobbies hell even travel but don't waste someones valuable time and make them feel like they're your last choice and a safety net.

The perfect Come back " I totally agree! I already have a couple of guys I want date first to but if they don't work out your totally next in line see ya in a couple of months babe, love ya!"