Promotion, huh?

By megs - 10/12/2016 12:49

Today, I was promoted. After going to school for 10 months to get certified for the new position, training extensively, and taking on a ton more responsibility, I was hoping for a decent raise. How much do my bosses think all of that time and effort is worth? One dollar more per hour than I made before. FML
I agree, your life sucks 9 261
You deserved it 1 127

Same thing different taste

Top comments

$1 an hour raise may not seem like much, but that is an extra $2000 a year assuming you work 40 hour weeks.

"Oh, wow, you went to janitorial school and have tasked yourself with spending an extra four hours each day waxing the floors. That's… you're one hell of an accountant!"

Comments

Hey, it's better than nothing. Congrats on the promotion OP!

Talis99 26

While that sucks, did you never discuss the details of the raise? I think you're entitled to ask: pay, hours, whether there will be a commute or not, training. Did you pay for your new training yourself? If you did, that would have been a red flag. Or them dodging a pay inquiry. At least your new title and training would look good on a resume for the future.

$1 an hour raise may not seem like much, but that is an extra $2000 a year assuming you work 40 hour weeks.

They could even do overtime and make more

If OP's taken on a lot more responsibility, $2000 more per year isn't a lot, and some of it will go in tax.

it's likely based on a percentage of original wage. if you were at $20 an hour 5% is actually not too bad.

You got promoted, so your boss sees something in you and you can always move up again. They saw how dedicated you were, and yes, a dollar raise isn't ideal, but it is better than nothing.

Rammer3500 23

My promotion is 10 cents... be grateful..

"Oh, wow, you went to janitorial school and have tasked yourself with spending an extra four hours each day waxing the floors. That's… you're one hell of an accountant!"

Well apparently accountants can't do basic math, and janitors must be well versed in Internet media communication, so it checks out.

So you went to the barn and then you put the football in the nuclear reactor and it rains uphill in the ocean computer apricot.

Goblin182 26

That's kind of how it works in most places. You get promoted, show you are up to the task, then you get the reward. Give it time. Of course it could just be that your company is cheap. But they can't take the training from you, maybe you can use that it get employment somewhere else.

Your NEW bosses will value it more highly.