Mismanagement

By Anonymous - 28/01/2023 01:30 - United States - Sheppton

Today, I discovered that my mother has been stealing from me to cover her mountain of debt. I’m barely making ends meet as it is. When I confronted her, she had the gall to suggest I get a second job to support her. FML
I agree, your life sucks 885
You deserved it 79

Same thing different taste

Top comments

It's a good idea! You ought to get a second job as a debt collector. That way, you can get paid to harass your mom for her debt, then use that to pay the debt, for which you'll get bonus pay. If I'm doing the math right, you could be a millionaire in a few months. Brilliant!

That's nonsense. You don't inherit debt in the United States. OP does need to look out for identity theft and to be prepared to call the cops on the mother.

Comments

It's a good idea! You ought to get a second job as a debt collector. That way, you can get paid to harass your mom for her debt, then use that to pay the debt, for which you'll get bonus pay. If I'm doing the math right, you could be a millionaire in a few months. Brilliant!

try to find some pro bono legal aid. it is entirely possible depending on where you live that if she passes away you will inherit the debt

That's nonsense. You don't inherit debt in the United States. OP does need to look out for identity theft and to be prepared to call the cops on the mother.

Good luck with that. Bono only gives away the free legal aid on New Year's Day and Sunday Bloody Sunday. His office is hard to find because it's where The Streets Have No Name.

Get out of there! Let mom sink or swim on her own if she’s stealing from you…

Stealing is wrong no doubt about it. But I think there is a difference between if she got into debt because of drugs, to if she got into debt because she was paying for his school. Could be that the debt is related to him, which is why she thought it was morally ok to get money from her son to cover it. And again stealing is wrong, but if my parents would have needed my help because of health or some very bad luck I would have seriously considered how do I provide help and support. After all they supported me for many years of my life.

If Mom needs help financially, she can reach out to him, explain her situation, and ask for his help. Blatantly stealing from him (or anyone else) is unacceptable. Especially since it runs counter to the values Mom taught her son. The argument about her paying for college and being owed money in return doesn't exactly apply. Mom presumably chose to pay for her son's college, and perhaps her son may feel compelled to aid her in return. But it she's going to be outright stealing and then have the fall to expect him to get a second job to support her, he's under no obligation.