It's not a phase!

By allycat - This FML is from back in 2011 but it's good stuff - United States

Today, after a year of suspicion, I finally found out my sister is in a cult. My family's response? "It'll be good for her." FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 202
You deserved it 2 772

Top comments

BIEBERSLAYER 10

id get suspicious of the rest of them.

Just2BMe 5

wow... interesting family you got there

Comments

maybe your family is in the cult too!

EvilDave 13

Is it that creepy death cult "christianity"? Or, is it the blood cult of "judaism"? Or, is it the murder cult of "islam"?

Heh, I had thought the same thing. Maybe OP's sister was joining an organization that was only a cult by definition, instead of the typical jogging suit/koolaid groups that we think of when we hear the word. If this were a religius organization, then it makes sense that it would be "good for her". Maybe OP is bigoted towards said organization which is why she called it a "cult". Might I be wrong? Yea. But its a valid spin on the situation.

EvilDave 13

I see someone has decided to moderate my comment despite it not violating the rules.

EvilDave 13

The reason my comment was moderated: "Ok, you want a reason for the comment being moderated? Please don't start a troll thread about religion, they always get out of hand. This is a secular website, if you want to discuss religion, there are places for this." The FML rules: "Please don't post any shocking or hateful comments about other users or the original poster of the FML. Remember, FMyLife is a site open to a wide audience. Please don't post any comments which question the validity of an FML (accusing the original poster of submitting a fake story, or arguing that an anecdote is "not FML worthy" or "even "not an FML" based solely on your own personal intuition or opinion isn't very fair. Furthermore, it ruins the other users' reading experience). TXT language and out of context comments are forbidden. Flooding or spamming the comments section (posting three or four comments at a time in rapid succession) is forbidden. Advertising of any kind is forbidden. Have fun! (Yes, seriously, it’s a rule. Sorry for saying "forbidden" so much.) " As I don't see any mention of it, perhaps FML should add "Don't make a comment about religions, truthful or not" to the rule list. Or, is it just "Don't say anything bad about OUR religion" because I see comments still up about Scientology and the Westboro Baptist Church?

If you truly think your sister's life is in danger, take action. Your parents might be oblivious but with enough evidence you can get the police involved.

darrionedizzy 0
RebekahBrooke 9

lol what a loving family. :D

maseybear_RAWR 0

Is she really in a cult? There are a lot of cults that aren't really cults. And many that are not bad for you at all.

A guy in my church had his gf demand him to quit coming b/c she thinks we're a cult... so they broke up. We do camps probably 2 weeks out of the year. Considering we joke about being a cult and I still go even though I don't really believe it she had it wrong. But it's the kind of thing you tell people about, esp your family...