Heftychonk

By just-a-fat-cat - This FML is from back in 2016 but it's good stuff - United States - West Bend

Today, I noticed my cat was making a loud wheezing noise when trying to breathe, so I rushed him to the vet's. $250.00 worth of tests later, he's fine. Just really fat. FML
I agree, your life sucks 12 935
You deserved it 5 084

Top comments

I wouldn't say an obese cat is fine, part of your responsibility as a pet owner is to ensure your cat is healthy and on a proper diet...

Get a laser pointer and have him chase that for 10 minutes, twice a day

Comments

Does your cat eat a lot of wet food (pouches)? Those contain a high amount of calories in them. Perhaps you should try cut down on them (if you do feed him that) and feed him some dry food instead (make sure you are following the dietary suggestions on the bag). Make sure he has things to play with and engage in physical activities with him on a daily basis, as well as make sure he has space to run around outside. It may be a good idea to consult your veterinarian about choosing a good diet or even a weight loss programme.

Marfanian 3

As a vet tech at an animal hospital, I can assure you the 250 you spent wasn't bad at all. in order to form a correct diagnosis doctors need to establish differentials. usually blood work and x rays are major keys for respiratory problems. be happy your cat doesn't have a more severe problem and that you can help him lose weight and live healthier!

One of our five cats has the same issue. It's hard to monitor one who's overweight and two that are a little on the thin side. We try to keep the heavy one from eating everyone's food as much as possible, but it's tough. I feel your pain, OP - that wheezing is a terrible thing to hear. Ours still gets outside and runs around and plays with the others; I hope yours is able to do the same still.

I wouldn't say that's an fml, sure it sucks that you had to pay that much, but if the alternative was that a beloved pet may have died, I think it's worth it.

You would think a vet could look at him or the scale first and tell that...

Think of a human going to the doctor's office, and the doctor taking one look and telling the patient any of their symptoms were only because they were overweight -- with no further exam, not listening to their lungs or checking for other underlying problems, etc. It's no more appropriate for cats than for people; there could very well be a serious ailment that wouldn't be found if not checked for. It's not like overweight people (or cats) never have any other sicknesses. It's great that nothing worse was wrong with OP's cat, but it's also great that the cat was checked to make sure that was the case.

putting your pet at high risk of asthma, heart failure, kidney failure, pancreatitis, diabetes is not healthy or fine. obesity is serious.

Read comment #32. OP adopted the cat even heavier than it now is, and has been helping it to lose weight. It still has quite a ways to go, but its current condition is being improved, not caused, by OP.

Like this was on the app a while ago but it was $300

Your vet might want to put your cat on a diet. My cat's on a diet, and she went from 13 pounds to 10 over the course of a couple of years. She's still pretty pudgy, as female cats who've been spayed tend to have that wattle, not to mention she may be part British shorthair (hey, she's a shelter cat), but for an eight-year-old cat, she's in pretty good shape.

Yeah! I took my dog to get some meds and just saw a vet tech(not even a vet) and it cost $320!

Weird that this got so many AYLF over YDI on this. OP was almost certainly the reason why the cat was fat in the first place.