Heftychonk

By just-a-fat-cat - This FML is from back in 2016 but it's good stuff - United States - West Bend

Today, I noticed my cat was making a loud wheezing noise when trying to breathe, so I rushed him to the vet's. $250.00 worth of tests later, he's fine. Just really fat. FML
I agree, your life sucks 12 935
You deserved it 5 084

Top comments

I wouldn't say an obese cat is fine, part of your responsibility as a pet owner is to ensure your cat is healthy and on a proper diet...

Get a laser pointer and have him chase that for 10 minutes, twice a day

Comments

better safe than sorry, I'd of done the same thing. money means nothing when it comes to a pet or child

Boobookittyf96 10

I haaaate vet visits. so expensive

Then don't own pets. Yes, they're expensive and yes it sucks. I'm currently paying off $800 in vet bills just so they can get their checkups. But I do it because I care about my pets' health.

I hate them too, but they're an essential part of animal ownership. I am not someone who rushes my dogs to the vet for every little thing. I treat most things at home because I have common sense unlike some friends of mine who rush their dog to the vet every time their dogs scrape themselves out playing. If I did that, I'd be broke because my Xolo is rough on his naked skin. I do, however, take them in every year so a professional can look at them and make sure there is nothing happening under the surface that I would never be able to see. It's also essential for keeping some animals comfortable. Horse owners have their vets out every spring to have their horse's teeth floated (filed down). Because horse teeth grow throughout their lives and they grind their food with those back molars, sometimes a sharp edge can be worn in the side that can cut the horse's mouth and make it difficult for them to eat properly. Equine vets are far more expensive than small animal vets, but we do it so our vet or equine dentist can make sure everything is as it should be back there where we can't see. The way I see it is I am paying a small amount to ensure I am able to have my canine and equine companions around for as long as possible. When I was a kid, we didn't take our animals in unless they needed vaccines and we didn't discover our Dalmatian's cancer until the day we put her down. Granted, she was 14, but maybe, had we caught it sooner, we could have had her for another year or two.

Ever tried pet insurance? My mother has 100% cover on her dog and even though it's expensive its helped massively in the long run. Poor thing turned out to be epileptic a few years down the road but because of the insurance the $2000+ hospital visits were all covered!

Get pet insurance for your cat (although, it'll probably be hard because he's overweight and it'll cost a bomb or they simply won't do it for that reason)...

setenta_e_quatro 8

Animals tend to reflect the habits of their owners.

Great first impression you made on me. Now I know what kind of person you are. And it's not a very good kind. Just because a cat is overweight doesn't mean you lash out at the owner (OP) when you probably have no clue what their weight is. Even if you did that's still rude.

My cat has had weight problems for years. I started feeding him Natural Balance reduced calorie canned food, half a can twice a day. I also got him a tag for his collar that says, "I'm on a diet. Please don't feed me" so my well-meaning, but silly neighbors know not to feed him. The weight melted away and now I'd guess he's a healthy weight, or much closer to it. Hope that helps. You really need to get your cat's weight under control of it's so bad it's affecting his breathing. Good luck!

Bet you the cat wasn't too pleased about the tag if he was used to snacks from neighbors. I need that tag for my cat, he's overweight. Thanks for the idea. He is not too overweight just enough where you can see the difference between him and my more average weight cats.

Oh, for sure. I've noticed that since I put the tag on him, he's not as eager to go outside and comes home sooner. Ha ha! Greedy little kitty! XD

If possible, you need to get his weight down. However I also know of a friends cat who could only lose a couple of pounds on a vet prescribed diet.

Well, considering a cat weighs less than twenty pounds, that's pretty good!

He was actually around 20 pounds. He was a large cat, but also fat. He could typically jump on things fine, though. They tried very hard, limiting the food, using certain food their vet told them, no treats.. And he got down to 18-19. He was diagnosed as diabetic recently, though, and now that they give him shots, his weight has actually started to go down

My guinea pig wheezes like that. She was pregnant when we got her and had 5 mini-pigs. Shes just all stretched out. We let her run on the floor around her son's cage. She gets the most excersize of any guinea pig we've had, its so weird.

First, OP, good for you for taking him to the vet to get checked out. And I'm glad it wasn't worse. Next, everyone's right; overweight enough to wheeze is not good. If the vet hasn't yet prescribed a specific diet, call them back and ask about one. Then stick to what the vet says to do -- level measuring scoops, no extra treats, and play with your cat daily so he gets as much exercise as the vet recommends (which might well change as he loses some weight or gets in better cardiovascular health, just like for humans). Consider getting a baby scale so you can monitor his weight at home, too. If you have more than one pet, which can make it hard to make sure the fat one doesn't steal extra nibbles, consider separating them at mealtimes, or feeding any non-fat ones in places the fat one can't get to because of his current health -- maybe on a surface he can't jump to, or past a gap he can't squeeze through. We have one cat who would eat everything in sight if allowed to, and one with health problems who needs to have free access to food; we wound up getting a limited-access bowl for the skinny cat (an ID Bowl, but there are other brands now): an opener tag goes on the skinny cat's collar so the bowl opens for her whenever she wants food, but it stays closed for the weight-watching cat.

Is your name Jon and is your cat ginger?