Hard no

By badsitter - This FML is from back in 2018 but it's good stuff

Today, my mother stopped speaking to me because I won’t let her babysit anymore. Her idea of babysitting is to sit my daughter alone with a tablet and a pile of sugary junk food for 7 hours straight. FML
I agree, your life sucks 4 667
You deserved it 348

Same thing different taste

Top comments

The next time your mom does talk to you, you should ask her if she would have found it acceptable for someone to have done that to you when you were a kid.

jello_bellied_snack_snapper 18

Power to the parent! Kudos for standing up for your kid!

Comments

The next time your mom does talk to you, you should ask her if she would have found it acceptable for someone to have done that to you when you were a kid.

ChristianH39 30

That might backfire, her answer may be a resounding yes.

sumocj 14

The answer would probably be yes

boopingsnoot 24

The younger the kid, the more disturbing this post is

jello_bellied_snack_snapper 18

Power to the parent! Kudos for standing up for your kid!

So she can raise a child to become a responsible adult, yet she can't properly watch her granddaughter for only a few hours? Has she completely forgotten about how she raised you or something?

It's always possible that mom didn't raise the OP to be a responsible adult. It could be that the OP's dad raised them to be a responsible adult. It could also be the fact that on occasion a child can recognize, based on other societal clues around them such as how friend's families behave, that there is something wrong with what their parent's are doing and so they take that information and file it away as "what not to do".

Don’t worry about your mom, worry that your daughter will report you to CPS for depriving her of excursions to Utopia! Are we talking Gummi Bears, Snickers and Capri Sun? Mmmmm. Is your mom single?

Back in her day before tablets, grandma probably used cartoons on the TV to “entertain” her own children along with the same sort of snacks. Obviously her daughter (OP) survived and she figured out that was not the way you should care for a child. The best way is probably somewhere in the middle. It’s impossible for most adults to be the “perfect baby sitter” for 7 hours at a time. And sometimes children need to be able to play by themselves, but safely and with appropriate supervision. And at an appropriate age you can introduce children to activities that the adults enjoy or need to do. For example my grandparents were farmers and I got to tag along as they did chores and I was glad to do things that I could accomplish - That made for a healthy way to grow up and interact. Not everyone is a farmer, but children can help or just be there even just doing housework or hobbies. The trick is knowing how to break it down to things a child can do or follow. And there is nothing wrong with allowing a child their own playtime as long as they are appropriately supervised.

sumocj 14
bigdaddyeric 35

Don’t forget that you were raised by Her probably the same way, you ok?

well, don't ask her to babysit for 7 hours. As a grandparent I say screw it, I raised my kids. so WHEN you call in a panic because you dont have a sitter you know what to expect.

And maybe OP has her mom watch her kid while she's working.

5 non-grandparents give this a thumbs down lol.