Four to the floor, I was sure…

By jalapeno_popper - This FML is from back in 2010 but it's good stuff - Canada

Today, I learned the hard way why they say "four on the floor" at school. I leaned too far back while rocking in the chair and fell off. I grabbed the desk to save myself, and it came down too. FML
I agree, your life sucks 7 784
You deserved it 35 501

Top comments

OP, you have not heard the horror stories teachers tell about students leaning too far back and the consequences. I've heard about death, paralyzation, mental damage, and some other things.

saranottelling 7

I haven't done that since 3rd grade. A boy in my class fell and busted his head open... the blood...

Comments

ensemble_coeur 0

YDI for rocking back and forth in your chair. that's just stupid. I did that one time in kindergarten, and I learned my lesson.

This didn't help me understand why they say four on the floor.. person+chair+table= three? D:

plutosaplanet 0

of goodness i hope youre joking. but in case youre serious...4 on the floor means all 4 legs of your chair on the floor.

oooh! Hah, I thought it was something like ''ooooh she went all four on the floor!!1 epic pwn!'' I fail :3

ensemble_coeur 0

I've never heard of "four on the floor" either

kganey 0

When it is used by teachers, the phrase "four on the floor" is intended to be both practical advice and a fun reference. Practical advice because keeping all four legs on the floor is a safe rule. A fun reference because the phrase was a slang description for cars. "Four on the floor" originally referred to the transmission system in a car. The car had four gears that were shifted by lever coming up from the floor of the car. Another popular transmission system for old cars was called "three on the tree." In those cars it was three gears that were shifted by a lever on the steering column.

four legs of a desk/chair. you could say six on the floor but it doesn't sound good, and what are the chances of keeping both feet firmly on the ground the entire time?

I couldn't figure it out at first either. I just kept thinking about transmissions.

Four legs on a chair, four legs should be on the floor

"Four on the floor" also refers to a drum beat in which the bass drum plays on all 4 beats of the measure. Traditionally used in jazz music, but has recently resurfaced in electronic/house music type stuff.

It's also used in a Britney Spears song. Although I don't understand what it means it that context.

Best lessons are learned the hard way...

yourefreakindumb 0
WorkThatButt 2

Four on the floor is almost the only thing I remember from primary school! YDI

flashback.miss 28

for me, it was ten feet on the floor imao

Only rocking chairs are made for that, OP. Much like playing "rock the boat," that's never the brightest idea. Also, unless those desks were bolted to the floor, they wouldn't be much use for stabilizing yourself.

They make the desks with chairs attached for lefties! Have you looked in other rooms to see if you could commandeer one?

Seti_fml 0

when I read "four-on-the-floor" it confused me because I've never heard that applied to anything outside of electronic music beats. That being said, you seriously deserve it and I hope people laughed at you so you remember it and don't do it again.

I no the best desert to go with that fail it's called epic