By Anonymous - 12/07/2019 00:01 - Poland - Warsaw

Today, yet again, I got into an argument with my dad. I have a PhD in the subject. But he's "entitled to his opinion", for, as he said, he's read a summary of the history of the country in a tourist guidebook, and the general view doesn't have to be based on more detailed information. He also corrects me when I speak the language, which he doesn't know. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 895
You deserved it 187

Same thing different taste

Top comments

TomeDr 24

Some fathers have a hard time when they realize their children are smarter than they are.

Just ignore/ don't respond to his incorrect comments. And roll your eyes when he's not looking.... Or (obviously) exaggerate when you simply reply, "Oh, you're SO right, Dad!" In other words, "you can't fix stupid," so no sense in trying in this case.

Comments

I feel for you. Ignorance might be a bliss for your dad but not for who is chatting with him

Just ignore/ don't respond to his incorrect comments. And roll your eyes when he's not looking.... Or (obviously) exaggerate when you simply reply, "Oh, you're SO right, Dad!" In other words, "you can't fix stupid," so no sense in trying in this case.

EmDizzle2007 28
TomeDr 24

Some fathers have a hard time when they realize their children are smarter than they are.

I’ve noticed this is a generational thing. There’s a generation of middle-aged to older people who think that experts are wrong because their experience goes against said experts. My mom’s this way too.

Zan 16

he is technically right, you know?

If this is a recurring thing, why do you still allow it to happen? Simply don't give in to those topics/discussions.

allweirdoparis 4

Lots and LOTS of ignorant people loooove to use the "i'm entitled to my opinion" phrase. They are usually folks who are unable to admit they could be wrong or don't know something, and rather than educate themselves or be open to anything they try to drag every else's knowledge down. What they are really saying is "my opinion is just as valid as your actual knowledge or facts." For examples, see the 2016 elections. My favorite response is 'you are entitled to your opinions. But what you are stating are FACTS, not opinions. You are not entilted to your own facts."

Traveling_Book 9

Your dad may be wrong, but just because you have a PhD doesn’t automatically make you right. Calmly explain it to him or show him proof to backup your claim. If he still ignores it no point in discussing it further.

My father used to do the same with me. I have a science and mathematics degree, he would argue with me tooth and nail that he was right about things based on stuff he saw on since show on TV. I used to put the phone down on speaker phone and walk away.. Let him talk it out, then come back without him ever noticing. If I didn't do this, his stubbornness would drive me to insanity.