By Anonymous - 28/04/2009 04:38 - United States

Today, while working at Wendy's my boss approached me and told me the District Manager wanted to talk to me. I had been given a substantial raise the day before so I thought he was going to promote me to manager. Wrong, he told me I was being fired for eating a 99 cent cheeseburger. FML
I agree, your life sucks 48 990
You deserved it 16 681

pokandy tells us more.

pokandy 0

Clear some things up. I had been working there for 4 1/2 years. Everyone at the store eats on the job and I was the only one to get fired. Never had any disiplinary problems before. The Store owners 14 year old son saw me eat the burger while working and told his dad who in turn told the DM. My regular manager didnt even know about it and was as blindsided as me. I offered to pay for the burger even double or triple for it but my DM could not see it any other way and canned my ass. O well. FML

Top comments

You mean you can get fired for stealing from your job? THIS IS NEWS!

Seems a gray area to me. It's bullshit to be fired for such a trivial thing, though since you got your raise, wouldn't you have been able to afford to purchase the cheeseburger?

Comments

missus_butter 0

#51, using extra "likes" in a sentence is in fact common for adults where I am from. My DAD uses it. I've had college professors who used it. Since I am from where this PARTICULAR form of regional jargon originated, I would know that it is in fact regional jargon. How dare you claim I'm ignorant, when you did not know this? You are worse than ignorant; you are not even willing to learn. Go die.

exthalion 0

It's not BS read the OP's follow up comment #35 before posting stuff like that

#13 yes it is stealing of office supplies if you work in a place that serves food. What I don't understand is whether you just forgot to pay for it, or if it was something that was about to get thrown in the garbage because it had been sitting under the lights and you ate it. Is there no way you could have explained to your boss that you omitted to pay for it and then offer to pay for it? Most fast food places don't allow you to bring your own food in to eat, you have to eat one of their meals. Not sure how people do it, but I couldn't eat Wendy's, McD's, Burger King etc etc every day.

using excessive "likes" isn't regional jargon, it's a sign if inability to string together a cohesive sentence. So people use "likes" instead of the dreaded "ums" or pauses. So yes using "likes" would entail some inability to use the English language. While I agree that using "likes" is common in speaking (which is extremely sad) it should NEVER be used in writing, considering that when posting here of anywhere you have time to think about what you want to say and how you want to say it. So "likes" are unacceptable in my opinion.

blackxmortals 0

Hahhaa. You're a moron. Who the hell risks their job AFTER getting a raise to eat a $0.99 cheeseburger. I'd fire your ass too.

Get a clue. They aren't firing you because you stole a 99 cent cheeseburger. They're firing you because stealing *anything* indicates you're untrustworthy, and if you're capable of stealing that, then they're probably wondering what else you've done that they've missed. Anyway, YDI. Theft is theft, bucko, no matter how small. Unless it's stuff that was just gonna be thrown out anyway, I don't think any worker is entitled to free stuff from their place of employment. People working in clothes stores don't get free shirts, so I don't see why you should get a free feed *shrugs* Just my opinion is all.

#75, correct me if I am wrong, but I assume that when you use the term "regional" you are referring only to a specific area in the United States. Where did the excessive use of "likes" originate? Even if what you are saying is true and the filler "like" originated in a certain area of the U.S., its usage is now so obviously widespread that it would be ignorant to claim that people use "like" as a filler only in a particular region. Maybe attending a college where professors use fillers such as "like" excessively contributed to the aforementioned ignorance. Just goes to show how deep in the toilet our education system is these days.

rustylertz 0

It was a scam! I bet they're required to give one employee a raise every year or something, so they gave it to you, PLANNING on firing you the very next day!

You can't be fired after recieving a raise, you technically could take that to court because a raise would give you the assumption that your job planned on keeping you for some time. So, unless you... Ate numerous 99 cent hamburgers then.. I'm pretty sure you have a case.