By buysavings - 21/09/2009 01:22 - United States

Today, while helping my aunts with a garage sale, I sold a relish tray that looked like my mothers. When I put stuff away, I found items of my mothers tagged. Turns out, instead of holding onto my dead mother's items for me until I can store them, they've been selling them at discount prices. FML
I agree, your life sucks 43 257
You deserved it 3 056

zz4htt90p tells us more.

Well, if I had a house, I would have stored it all, but I used my inheritance to go to college. I was 19 and they offered to store it.

Top comments

omg im so sorry that ure aunt is a heartless bitch. at least u noticed before all of ure mothers stuff was sold. = /. im sorry for your loss

Wow, you should at least get the money from that stuff

Comments

There isn't any apostrophe; You're thinking about it the wrong way. It means aunts as in more than one.

Darth_Taco 14

Wait wait wait! You inherited this stuff, right? You inherited it legally? From her will? You can bring legal action against them if you did. Get a lawyer and sue them for money at least. I know it won't do much to ease the pain, but at the very least you'll be able to make them pay for what they've done against you and your mother. I'm so sorry this had to happen, no one deserves this. Hopefully you can grab her stuff now and stick it just anywhere for now. Do you have any siblings or friends you know you can trust? I don't know what to tell you, but getting your mother's remaining items out of there is very important now. Hopefully, you can at least get a lawyer and make them pay you money. I think it will work since that's all they seem to care about.

zac12345 0

Yes, sue them for $50, I'm sure the lawyer's bills won't exceed that by far.

sbarre1 0

Why would you hold onto a relish tray, anyway? I mean, I understand that your mother has died, but there's no reason to keep all of her old stuff. Sell it! Keep the sentimental stuff (good china, pictures, etc), but don't cling to every little thing like a baby blanket.

Maybe the relish tray was an antique and had more value than what it was even sold for? I know my mother has a cake plate that my great-aunts gave her, and they said it was their grandmother's from the turn of the 20th century. Something like that would definitely have more value than what you can get for it at a garage sale. And I really don't think the point of this FML is the relish tray. I think that the mention of the tray is to show that the OP thought something strange was going on during the sale but didn't find out what happened until afterward. Maybe more significant or valuable items were sold during the sale as well.

My brother opened up my mother's house (while she was still alive, but too sick to live alone) and let everyone who wanted her stuff come and get it, and threw the rest of her belongings away. I was on the other side of the country at the time. He never told me. Now, she's dead, and not only do I not have any of my mother's old treasures (books, newspaper articles, personal items) but my childhood treasures (books, scrapbooks, high school and college diplomas, etc.) are gone as well. Sometimes people can be completely insensitive and really selfish. I'm sorry for your loss.

Not being funny here, but did you really want the relish tray? :S

My former step dad's parents did the same thing. They sold all my mom's jewelry when she died before I was able to get it from them. They even called my mom's ex to see if he had any jewelry or valuables.

_THE_MASTER_ 0

If there was a will, go to the attorney who drafted it. Especially if you were names as the Executor. ( not the kind that kills people on death row, the kind that follows the directives in the will.) and let him know. I mean, either it's up to them to retrieve the items they've sold, or they have done something totally illegal and insensitive and unethical and need to get some kind of consequence. (I know, it's always funny when I talk about people being insensitive.)

Is the OP thinking what i'm thinking? Yeaaah treasure hunt! *Bounces around in a merry fashion.*

it's just stuff you will drag around and pay to store forever. Materialism won't bring your mom back only burden you and sentimentality is in your head where it really matters and junk is only a representation.