By Noah98 - 25/05/2016 18:53 - United States - Utica

Today, when I left for work at 7:00 am, my dad was playing Grand Theft Auto 5. When I got home at 3:30, he was still playing. I'm 18 years old. He's 45. FML
I agree, your life sucks 10 495
You deserved it 1 272

Noah98 tells us more.

Noah98 20

Hi, OP here. Just to clarify, my dad works third shift so this was during his time off. I simply thought it was funny that the roles seemed reversed. He does work hard to provide for us.

Top comments

I think it really depends on how often this happens. If he's constantly ignoring responsibilities and playing video games all day then yeah, that's bad. But if he just occasionally enjoys a day off by playing games, there's nothing wrong with that.

Can a man not enjoy playing some video games...? He ain't that bad of a fail if he had you.

Comments

mariri9206 32

I'd much rather my dad did this rather than going to Tennessee every two weeks and buying properties he doesn't need when he can't even sell his own house because no one wants to spend an outrageous amount of money on a rundown, dilapidated property that has 3 and a half baths where two full baths don't work at all, one full bath only has a working shower (which is in the basement) and the half bath is likely on its last legs for actually having a running toliet. I'd rather he do this than tell me can't pay for my college tution or help me with my physical therapy bills that I asked him to help with only twice - with the response from the first time being "It's your mother's problem." - and him telling me he can't help with any of this because he's retired and only has a limited income. Limited income but he can afford to drive to Tennessee twice a month and buy two properties he doesn't need. Limited income but he can spend a month traveling all over freaking Europe. Limited income and lord knows how many mortgages he has - at least two, last I heard - but he can lecture me about not trusting my mother's opinion on finances because hers are "poor" which he doesn't even know about because it's not his business and he's making a blind assumption. All this and he still thinks he has the right actually be involved in my life and call himself my father when he's always paid the bare minimum in child support - would take money off, actually, when he had to buy advil or clothes for me - and never, ever helped with any sort of tuition. I'd rather my dad sit around and play video games because then he can't spend money he "doesn't have." Sorry if this seems like I'm trying to say my dad is worse than yours or whatever - that's not what I'm trying to do at all. I realize it might seem like that - I'm just trying to say I understand deadbeat dads and having them and it majorly sucks, OP. I really, really hope that this is just what your dad does on a day off and that you don't actually have a deadbeat dad.

I feel your pain. Feels good to let it out sometimes. There are a butt load of people with problems like yours. We won't tell you about it. You need to change the terms. Do you need a father or does he need a child. Are you giving everything to get a peanut shell? The answer is do what is best for you. Me and my sister (two very very different people) decided our father has no place in our lives. We've both got our own lives and neither one is worse for lack of him.

mariri9206 32

Nice to know someone else gets it and understands, especially since my sister doesn't seem to get why I don't really want to see or talk to him. Thanks for the advice. I don't really know how to go about changing the terms, though, or if it'll even do anything. I barely talk to him (I've stopped calling because he always puts it on me to and, whenever he says he's gonna call tomorrow, he never does) and I've recently moved across the country so who knows how often I'll even see him anymore. Honestly, I'd love to just say all of this to him and get it all but he's old and set in his ways and that, combined with how little we actually communicate/see each other, I don't know if it'd be worth it.

Jesus, dude. Nobody asked for your life's story.

PANDORUM89 21

damn you took this FML like it was a therapists office. maybe you need to talk to someone but not here.

I think the FML is that the child was out working all day while the parent was playing video games. Stereotypically speaking, you'd expect the roles to be reversed. I'd be pretty irked too if I had to go work at 7 am while my dad got to stay home and play GTA all day.

It could just be his day off. Unless there's a follow-up that says he does this a lot, I'd say "Don't worry about it."

Lol... Just ground him take his controller....

Where's the FML? Sounds like an awesome dad to me, unless it's like what somebody already said, he's ignoring his responsibilities.

Honestly, as long as he provides and fulfills all his responsibilities the man can do whatever he likes.

As long as this isn't a daily thing then I don't really see how this is bad

OP....The real tragic will be when he deletes YOUR saved games..