By Grimmerie - 07/03/2016 09:05 - Canada - Vancouver

Today, my vet prescribed Xanax for my very anxious dog, because he keeps me awake all night whining and pacing. He slept soundly for about an hour, then woke up, threw up all over my carpet, and went right back to whining and pacing. FML
I agree, your life sucks 19 809
You deserved it 1 708

Grimmerie tells us more.

Hey everyone! Here's a bit more explanation. Brodie, my little guy, is 13 years old. He's always been anxious but as he gets older it's gotten worse. His body is in great condition but his mind is definitely starting to go. I take him out in the evenings for a long walk to let him get his exercise and also to let him check on his favourite spots in the neighbourhood. In addition to the xanax, he's on an anti-nauseant. I also restrict food about two hours before bedtime, and water half an hour before. He fixates on drinking and can make himself sick that way. Restricting prevents some issues. He lives with my mom, and I usually dont live here, but I'm between apartments and taking care of Brodie while mom is in Australia. Her being away is definitely amping his anxiety. My solution right now is to sleep in my bed until 6 am, when he gets anxious, and then we both go downstairs and I sleep another couple hours on the couch while he naps near the door. It's uncomfortable but that way he settles, and considering he's this old I don't mind indulging him. I'm taking him back to the vet today to talk about more treatment options or adjusting his dose. Sorry for the novel, and thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Top comments

That makes me sad, because as a human with a diagnosed anxiety disorder I know what life with anxiety feels like. I think my dog used to "feed" off of my anxiety because he became a nervous little guy too. I've started taking him for 2 daily walks, one 30 minute walk in the morning, and one 30 minute walk after dinner. I have noticed a huge improvement in his moods since I started that schedule, like your dog mine would whine and pace and constantly want to go outside and then come back inside. Sometimes he will whine and pace but nothing like he used to and he never bugs me to keep going out or coming inside. Occasionally life happens (for example maybe I'm ill, or I have some school stuff [as a full time college student I constantly have school stuff] or studying, etc) so I have family take him. I've found that he really likes keeping to a schedule, even to where I can predict when he will eat or need to go potty. It's rare but if I can't get one of my brothers to take him I've even asked neighbors (one of which is studying to become a vet so she loves my little man!!) My vet started him on an antidepressant temporarily and we took him off finally a few weeks ago (it caused him to gain about 8lbs in 16weeks) and so far I think he has been well adjusted and he was ready to come off. Anyways good luck with your dog!! I hope you can find something to help him. Work closely with your vet, I'm sure there's a solution!!

It sounds like the medicine isn't working well with your dog. Take him back to the vet and see if there's another alternative. Even if it is working, it's better to be safe then sorry!

Comments

hipposteve 21

poor baby! the medicine was too strong. hold that puppy and comfort him :(

should try using rescue remedy drops. get a few drops into his mouth and in 10 min should be calm!!! it works like a charms! I have many animals and I have found the simplest herbal products work the best . go back to our roots hope he gets better soon and you get some sleep

thunderniron 22

Give him Benadryl. 25-50 mg depending on his weight. He'll sleep like a baby.

I hope you have tried things like stimulation and exercise before medication. In my experience most dog anxiety is due to being cooped up in a house all the time.

Absolutely. I take him to the parks near my house, the beach, down into the forest to run around, and in the car with my roommate and i if we're going on drives longer than 20 minutes. He's very well looked after.

Hey everyone! Here's a bit more explanation. Brodie, my little guy, is 13 years old. He's always been anxious but as he gets older it's gotten worse. His body is in great condition but his mind is definitely starting to go. I take him out in the evenings for a long walk to let him get his exercise and also to let him check on his favourite spots in the neighbourhood. In addition to the xanax, he's on an anti-nauseant. I also restrict food about two hours before bedtime, and water half an hour before. He fixates on drinking and can make himself sick that way. Restricting prevents some issues. He lives with my mom, and I usually dont live here, but I'm between apartments and taking care of Brodie while mom is in Australia. Her being away is definitely amping his anxiety. My solution right now is to sleep in my bed until 6 am, when he gets anxious, and then we both go downstairs and I sleep another couple hours on the couch while he naps near the door. It's uncomfortable but that way he settles, and considering he's this old I don't mind indulging him. I'm taking him back to the vet today to talk about more treatment options or adjusting his dose. Sorry for the novel, and thanks everyone for the suggestions!

I seriously have so much respect for you OP. I think you are a wonderful human being and I thank you for being so amazing to your fur baby!!

Pet owner goals! You're one amazing human being :3

I have so much respect, you are a wonderful person to take such good care of that old dog. I have rats, and I have a rat that's sick and I am the same way(my family doesn't agree because to them it's just a dumb rat but to me it's my child) good for you op!!

I see that you understand he's clearly pining for your mom. Having a dog that is attached to me at the hip, I understand how much that can hype up a dog's anxiety. He's old, so is it possible that there is a physical discomfort going on? That too can amp up a nervous dog's anxiety. Another thought is that physical exercise is great, but physical exercise doesn't always give them the adequate mental exercise they need. This one can be harder since it can sometimes take a bit to find out how to exercise a particular dog's mind the best, but once you do, it can help reduce their anxiety because their mind is just as tired as their body. I have one Nervous Nellie (our Bluetick Coonhound) and one genius (my Standard Xoloitzcuintli). For our hound, scent games are the best because they utilize his natural instincts and make him think. He enjoys all sorts of games, but the scent games are the best for him. We have to be more creative with my Xolo. He enjoys scent games too and loves to help our coonhound sniff things out as he's got a great nose himself, but he is not a scenthound so that kind of thing isn't as interesting to him. He likes puzzles and learning new things and is becoming quite good at the cup game where you mix up the cups and someone has to choose the right cup with the item under it. Mentally wearing out our coonhound has done wonders for his anxiety and he doesn't whine or worry when he's mentally and physically worn out. I hope you can find something to help Brodie. I know what it's like to live with an anxious dog and it's so hard because you can't just sit him down and tell him that you're mom's only on a trip to Australia and not gone forever and that there's nothing to worry about. It makes me smile to hear that you are happy to cater to the old guy's desires by sleeping on the couch for a while every morning. Dogs, especially the old ones who have given us the best years of their lives, deserve people like that.

I know he's older, but you may be able to help him break the cycle by not allowing him any sleep during the day for a few days. Just like with children, it may help him sleep through the night. Good luck op!

You rock, OP! good luck with your four-legged friend!

I'm sorry to hear he has anxiety issues. I had a similar issue when I moved from my home, where my dog lived most of his life so far (11 years) He is diabetic and blind, so he was used to our home & yard. However, when we moved he was very anxious. pacing, whining, couldn't get comfortable, etc. so I tried this aromatherapy collar with lavender and eucalyptus oil infused in it that would last around a month or a few weeks...I can't remember exactly how long. anyway, the collar seemed to work pretty well until he adjusted.

TAntobella 14

Maybe a behaviourist would be better than a vet. The difference is the same you get between a psychiatrist and a gp.

Usually when you go to the vet they prescribe for the animal, not the owner.

It typically works when I give my dog half a melatonin pill, it's all natural and isn't bad for them.

AshesNicole623 17

Just because something is natural doesn't mean it's good for the body. Some things are good for humans, but not for animals.