By pregnant loser apparently - 20/05/2013 04:31 - United States - Franklin

Today, my parents posted on Facebook that they were excited that my sister was pregnant and couldn't wait to be grandparents. Last week I told them that I, a 33-year-old happily married woman, was pregnant and they told me I was ruining my life and encouraged me to have an abortion. FML
I agree, your life sucks 64 161
You deserved it 3 570

Same thing different taste

Top comments

And does your sister happen to be a teenage delinquent, too?

You can see your parents have favorites :(

Comments

nnnope 26

I sincerely hope you publicly (i.e. on facebook) called them out on it.

In my personal opinion family problems have no right to be posted on Facebook. That's not where they belong. If OP is really feeling hurt then a family discussion in person would be more respectful for both parties.

nnnope 26

yes, so perhaps a "but didn't you say ____ to me?" (or something along those lines) would prompt a private discussion or a deletion of the hurtful post. since OP is Facebook friends with her parents, it's not like they had no idea she might see it. it doesn't mean they posted it specifically to hurt her feelings, but it also doesn't mean they considered her feelings at all or thought before they spoke.

a family "discussion" has nothing to do with mutual respect. more like yelling stubbornness and belligerence. :)

So they need to delete a post of praise for her sister? No. That's highly unfair to the sister. How about a phone call explaining what they did was hurtful to her and work their problems out. Some things do not need to be pubicly made, the only reason would be to make them look like shit to everyone and that will only cause more problems. Settling major problems pubicly on Facebook is for prepubescent kids, not 33 year old women.

nnnope 26

...but.... the post was highly unfair to the OP...and considering the nature of what they said to OP, it's doubtful any kind of attempt at a mature discussion would get her very far. also, if Facebook is for pre-pubescent kids, I guess all my friends and family have some explaining to do.

On a side note I meant publicly not pubicly. :/

nnnope 26

oops. it seems I missed the first part of that sentence. please disregard the last part of my previous comment...

It happens. We both have different options for OP. Let's leave it at that and part ways m'dear.

I think a facebook discussion is not a bad idea. Since it's for everyone to see, maybe they'll act more mature. Or maybe they will just lie to keep up appearances and be like "Noooo, we are also happy for you"...

Sad to say but I bet it's your partner they don't like.

SaucyNuttBugget 7

They aren't the ones to raise your baby, so they don't get a say! How awful to try and get you to have an abortion.

I hope you ignored them and didn't get an Abortion

RedPillSucks 31

Stranger things have happened. Not everyone is/acts independent.

PiNkMoOn 9

why did you even listen to them?,i'ts your baby who was killed!

nnnope 26

it says "encouraged," not "convinced." :|

What are you on? And most importantly, do you share?

happily married and a baby on the way? I say congrats and who cares what your parents think!

Parents like that you can do without. Seems likely that there might just be a favourite grandchild too, I'd steer clear if I were you.

Congratulations OP! Don't let what your mom says get you down.