By the attention seeker - 17/04/2013 21:57 - United States - North Miami Beach

Today my mother met my in-laws for the first time. She had been an alcoholic and had us sent to foster care 15 years ago. My husband told his parents this behind my back a while ago. When they asked her about it, she denied everything. His entire family now thinks I lie for attention. FML
I agree, your life sucks 42 947
You deserved it 4 312

Same thing different taste

Top comments

HeyHeyFishFillet 34

Your husband's parents kind of seem like douchebags. Is that really something that should be brought up the first time meeting?

Just explain to them that your mom feels bad about it, and felt pressured when they brought up bad times from the past.They shouldn't have been so nosy anyways. Fyl op

Comments

your husband should have consulted you op before sharing such personal details with your inlaws. Telling them ''behind your back" was wrong.

Your husband should have asked first. That said however, it's kind of ******* rude to pointedly ask about someones alcohol addiction/giving up of their children when you've only just met them. They crossed a line - what did they expect to happen? FYL for having douchebags for in-laws.

I neither understand why your husband would think it right to tell something this private to his parents without consulting you, nor why they would think it right to confront your mother about something like this. Something is seriously screwed up with your husbands family. You should have a serious talk about boundaries with him, maybe with the help of a counselor. As for his parents? You should be more concerned with how your mother feels, being humiliated and put on the spot like that. If you invite her to meet the in-laws you area obviously not on bad terms with her, I think that's the more important relationship right there.

ctlnaaia71 8

They had no business asking your mother about that. What a low class couple. I don't know why, but to me, this FML is fake.

Who just asks strangers questions so personal, your boyfriends' an idiot

1crabbygirl 10

Yeah, your in-laws are not so bright. And then turn it on you and call you a liar? Seriously?

Us that means a sibling or siblings get them to tell the truth as well mom can't be consider trustworthy if siblings say it too also your husbands a dick

they're saying "us, as in siblings" so use the sibling to come tell the in laws that OP isn't lying. as for this, you could if you know where they are. some foster cares split up siblings, which would make that hard to do.

FYL because your husband and his parents are jerks. Yikes.

Why do parents always believe the mother over the child? I know how that sounds but my own mom didn't believe me about my friend's mom being abusive until she disowned both him and his sister and threw them out.

Explain it to them. If you make a point of sitting them down it shows them you have conviction. Also your hubby should talk to them as well since he caused it.