By ApparentlyNotEno - 05/06/2013 20:40 - United States - Martinsburg

Today, my fiancée told me that she wants us to have an open marriage. She reasons that since she doesn't equate sex with love, there's no logical reason for me to be against her having sex with other people. FML
I agree, your life sucks 57 847
You deserved it 5 469

ApparentlyNotEno tells us more.

ApparentlyNotEno 28

OP here. We've actually had a threesome together and loved it. But she specifically wants to be with other men without me there.

Top comments

actually the worst fml I've seen today, my condolences

Comments

boredblonde 17

Might want to work that out before you take any big steps with her o_o

At least she has been honest. But if you are not in that kind of relationship run as far away you can.

There is nothing wrong with an open relationship as long as both partners are happy with the arrangement. In this case, the fiancé simply sounds selfish and uncaring. For your sake OP, you should have a discussion about your expectations of the relationship. If they don't match hers, you may want to get out while there isn't a lot of legal work to do.

This a thousand times over. If you disagree with her view - break up. It'll lead to heartache otherwise. If you can come to terms with it - awesome. Consider it a free pass to be a hedonist and enjoy your life to its fullest and still get an emotionally bound partner.

This this this. I know many people in happy, fulfilling open relationships but it takes lots of love, communication, and commitment to each others' happiness to make it work. This is probably something he should have brought up to you BEFORE becoming engaged.

So why get married! Just become **** buddies!

monnanon 13

yeah because no one is sensible enough to protect themselves anymore. poly relationships and marriages do work but it needs agremement on both sides.

You are aware that no form of protection is 100% foolproof and the risks of contracting an STD, obviously naturally increases with every additional partner you have, right? And every other partner your partner has, etc, etc?

monnanon 13

yes i am not an idiot. what i was annoyed at is that is generallly assumed on this site that stds are a certainty for anyone who even thinks of having sex with more than one person. A polyamourous relationship does not mean runming about with anyone and sleeping with people you have just met, it is easy to keep disease free if you are careful in a poly relationship.

No, you still don't get the point. No matter HOW careful you are, every single additional partner increases the risk. There's no opinion about it. That's statistical fact.

You have quite a decision to make. It sucks, but good on her for being clear before the wedding....my sister's ex was neither clear nor honest about his choice to make the relationship "open".

jem970 19

Do not, for the love of god, marry this bitch OP. Save yourself the heartache.

Volcan_fml 22

Open relationships =/= cheating. She should've explained that she wanted it to be open earlier to make sure he'd be okay with it, but she's being honest and communicating.

perdix 29

Don't go through with the marriage. She'll **** around while gaining the rights to half of your shit. This way she'll **** around and get none of your shit when you finally kick her skanky ass out.

End the relationship now or you'll just be hurt again later on. How'd you two even get as far as engagement?