By hoopfrog - 18/06/2014 13:26 - United States - York

Today, my boyfriend's grandma took me to his house to hang out. I then heard her in the kitchen telling his mom how hard she tried to leave me at the nearest gas station. FML
I agree, your life sucks 46 649
You deserved it 4 449

hoopfrog tells us more.

Oh trust me, his mom is a real bitch too.

Top comments

I thought mothers-in-laws were traditionally the problem, not grandmothers

I feel like she didn't try hard enough if you didn't even notice.

Comments

lol, a lot of old people are evil, this I learnt on FML

It took FML to teach you this? You must not et out much.

why are you so worried about typos? they happen to all of us. c:

Maybe mean 'ol grandma is going senile. I want to know what the mothers response was, though.

Haha! She was like "damn, I hate her"

I don't even know! I'm always nice and say please and thank you.

they hate you because they think your screwing their son/grandson & if your screwing him they have less control over him

You are not a daughter-in-law, girlfriend.

Honestly, those are the easiest terms to use. Technically incorrect sure but everyone knows what you mean...if you've been going out long enough that you could be married anyway, it gets really old telling everyone about your 'boyfriend's mother, but basically she's like a mother-in-law but obviously not quite'.

Technically the term 'in-law' is used to refer to a relationship that is not by nature or blood but is close in a familial way. The definition does not specify a relationship connected by marriage. Traditionally it was used as we would now use the term 'step-'. This means OP is using the term appropriately, especially as there are many couples who have long term relationships but chose not to get married or are legally prohibited from getting married. Monster-in-laws aren't a special privilege for those who are legally married.

Justy101 23

@35, I read this as Reid's voice from Criminal Minds. Oh so informative.

My boyfriend and i were together for 9 years before we got married... i think i started calling his mom my mother in law after about 5 or 6 years. It really was much simpler when trying to express the degree of the relationship. At some point you really are more familiar with each other than 'my boyfriend's mom' implies.

thats harsh, just talk with your boyfriend about it. but be nice around his family.

buckeye1 9

My now ex girlfriend tried to do the same thing to me, so she could meet up with her ex, what lovely people these two are

I would've just walked out n talked to my boyfriend about it later

I can understand how you feel, I've been with my Boyfriend for almost two years, and both his grandparents and his mom don't like me, the only people in his family (that I've met, not too many of them live here..) that like me are his aunt and uncle, and the rest of family doesn't like them too much..Just stay with your Boyfriend and keep showing his family how nice you are, they should START to get better..My Boyfriends family has, somewhat..