By jamminguitarist - 01/11/2009 08:13 - United States

Today, my best friend and I both applied for the same job. I was applying because my family is REALLY tight on cash, and I need the money. He applied because I told him about the job and we thought it would be fun working together. He was hired on the spot. I was denied the job. FML
I agree, your life sucks 36 474
You deserved it 6 181

jamminguitarist tells us more.

Sorry, let me clarify. There was a business opening up in our area, so there were many openings up for the jobs. We wanted to both get jobs there. They did group interviews then passed the ones they liked onto the next one. We were in the same group interview and he made it past. I wouldn't be stupid enough to tell him about a single job that was available, but I was stupid enough to think we would both be hired :P but I went job hunting afterwards and one of the places is interested and it's a better overall job so it's not an FML anymore

Top comments

bittersweets 2

If there is ONE open job, it's pretty stupid to think you can both have it...

perdix 29

They could smell your stink of desperation and thought you might end up stealing from them. Your friend seemed cool, and therefore, trustworthy. Desperation is not a good vibe to put out when looking for a job, or a date, for that matter.

Comments

mm02 0

Avoid group job hunting. It never works

lmmmr 0

That was really stupid of you. You provided more competition for yourself. How can there be more FYL than YDI?

You really need this job because you're tight on cash, and your solution is to tell you best friend about it so that he can prove he's better at this job than you are...are you surprised that you did not get hired?

It seems like they would have hired only one person anyway... so that was a bit silly of your friend And you probz wouldn't have got the job anyway, maybe you weren't what they were looking for

I know how that feels. I been looking for work for a year now and finally someone was interested in hiring me....my ex-boss stole my job opportunity from me because she was more qualified than me. I quit my job a year ago because she was a controlling bitch who wanted to yell at me for so much as breathing the wrong way when I worked with her. She got fired two weeks ago because of repeated customer complains for her attitude. Apparently someone doesn't do background checks. And hiring season is over....I have to try again in 6 months.

DieterDerBlau 0

NEVER bring your own competition, there's enough out there already... moron. YDI.

DieterDerBlau 0

@#22, "my ex-boss stole my job opportunity from me because she was more qualified than me." STOLE because she was better qualified?? Something about that doesn't sound right... Did she know you were aiming for that job and then swooped in to steal it from you? Or are you just whining because she got the job and you didn't? How were you breathing anyway??? Maybe you were mouth-breathing and getting spit all over stuff... I'd yell at you for that... Not sure I'd want to work for a company that'll let a position sit open for half a year... seems stupid. Then again, most things in your world seem stupid to me.

She follows me on Twitter. She saw I was excited that a certain company was finally going to hire me and, yes, swooped in and took it from me. And I breath perfectly fine. I was just saying that she found any and every reason to bitch about me when I was working with her, yet found no legal reason to fire me, so eventually I quit because I couldn't stand her. It was like working with a 5-year-old spoiled rotten child in a 35-year-old's body. You can stand it at first, but everyone's got a breaking point. Why do you assume I was the one in the wrong anyways?

aww poor OP. u must have been the ugly one out of u and your friend.