By sammylynnp - 07/01/2016 05:39 - United States - Kenosha

Today, my 4 year old's heavily pregnant teacher pulled me aside and asked me to talk to my son about "boundaries". Apparently, he asked her if she was going to "boobie feed" him and listed a few reasons why she should and why formula is bad, in front of the entire class. FML
I agree, your life sucks 21 712
You deserved it 3 335

sammylynnp tells us more.

OP here: Yes he was breastfed for about 5 months. Due to unfortunate medical problems, we had to switch completely to formula. His brother, however, is currently breastfeeding. At 4 years old, he has lots of questions and I try to answer them all as honestly as I can. I in NOW WAY judge people about formula feeding. As long as the baby is happy and healthy, do what you do, which I've also tried to teach him.

Top comments

Your kid is well informed. Am I the only one impressed?

smart kid. just looking out for the good of his teacher.

Comments

He's 4, I can see how in front of the class would be a problem but it's not like he's older and knows why that's bot okay.

merryhappy1887 20

Congratulations, you win at parenting!

That teacher is a prick. She could have just said "yes I'm breastfeeding" and it would be end of discussion. Kids have no shame at that age and that's the way it should be.

I think a little shame applied appropriately is healthy, lest the kid grow up to be a raging asshole.

zeffra13 31

I really doubt a 4-year-old curious how others treat their health will grow up to be a raging asshole.

I actually think anyone who passes judgment on another person's choices, unless given by a licensed medical professional whose opinion was solicited, is the very definition of a raging asshole. OP needs to take the teacher's advice about introducing her son to the concept of boundaries.

rldostie 19

The kid knows his info. He's too young to realize every mother should make the choice that works best for her and her own child--all he knows is the facts. Color me impressed. Although I don't know how that "boundaries" conversation would go. To the child, a breast is where food comes from. He probably has no clue for any other use and there as doesn't realize it's private and personal information.

Exactly. I find the teacher's reaction a little odd. The kid is 4, so basically just a big baby. The boundaries conversation can wait a year or two. 2c

Mathalamus 24

uh, call me an insane lunatic, but isn't it best to establish what boundaries are and properly respecting them at an age younger than 6?

I think it's more of a "teaching" moment, OP can take this moment to teach the child about things that are personal and private which works better in the moment because they can directly relate the lesson to something. How else would they learn that somethings are personal and not appropriate to discuss in a public setting.

Smart kid you've got there. Really, I mean it. Clearly he just wants what's breast for the baby.

I think it's kinda cute. Your kid's teacher should be used to how candid and direct kids are by now. Little kids tend to tell it like it is without sugar coating anything. Your son did nothing wrong, if you ask me. If I had been the teacher, I would probably have laughed and complimented the kid for his knowledge, then said "OK, back to work now." and moved on. No big deal.

soactually 4

I work with elementary school students, and I honestly don't understand why the teacher is being criticized here; she is almost certainly acting with genuine concern for her student. When I make suggestions to parents about helping their students develop social skills, I do it because the kids will be better off in the long run if they learn now (not because I'm personally offended when they ask me if my boobies make milk like Mommy's do).

TacoCat15 10

The argument between "beast milk is best" and formula need to stop. Mums will do what's best for their baby. No need to patronise and enforce your belief to others.

Cassmoneyyy 15

The saying is Breast is Best. Good grief.

Which is catchy, but not accurate. Breast is good, formula is good, fed babies are good doesn't quite work as a slogan, though.

1. Sounds like OP's kid has already had "the talk" 2. There is no reason a four year old shouldn't have "the talk" (at least, an age and developmentally appropriate version of it). Why shouldn't a four year old know what breasts are for? He may have baby siblings/cousins/neighbors and maybe has seen breastfeeding. Better he know what they're actually for than be taught that they're naughty, dirty, or shameful. That being said, OP may want to talk to him about boundaries and privacy.