By DeeZeeMb - 20/12/2015 12:40 - Slovenia - Maribor

Today, it's been three months since i went to my GP for a swollen foot. She sent me to a rheumatologist, a pulmonologist, vein ultrasound, DNA testing and finally an X-ray, which revealed I've been walking around on a broken foot. By now, the two bones are grown together at weird angles, forever. FML
I agree, your life sucks 23 180
You deserved it 2 078

DeeZeeMb tells us more.

I wanted to comment on this early, because the FML 300 character limit doesn't really allow for a proper explanation... One day i suddenly started limping, and there was sometimes a strange clicking sensation in my foot as i was walking, but there was absolutelly no pain. A little later my foot was swollen, but still no pain, and i went to my doctor. She gave me Ibuprofen and sent me home. Obviously it didn't help with the swelling, so i went back. She gave me a stronger anti swelling medication, and sent me to the rheumatologist, since we couldn't figure out what was wrong. The rheumatologist gave me the strongest anti swelling medication they had, and sent me to the pulmonologist, vein ultrasound, urine tests, genetic blood testing and finally the x-ray which revealed two broken bones. The clicking sensation i felt during the first days was the two bones snapping back and forth while walking. I was in complete shock when i found out i had two broken bones in my foot, and even more so, when i realized they were grown back together allready, but far from perfectly. I immediatelly went to a traumatologist, but they said there was nothing they could do, that i would have had to come to them in the first two weeks. This actually all happened a year ago, and my foot is now slightly better, but still far from perfect. It is slightly deformed due to the bone callus that forms around the broken bones - it's pushing the healthy bones appart, making my foot wider than it should be. But this will go away, and i have high hopes that at least externally my foot will appear normal. As for walking, i barelly limp anymore, so i have high hopes for that as well. But fact is, my foot will never be the same again...

Top comments

You may also want to consider a lawsuit.

Could it be rebroken and set? I don't know much about medicine, but I know that's a thing they can do in some situations.

Comments

Can you get operated on? I mean doctor really goofed up right? If not, then FYL

How is she that ******* STUPID? How was an X-ray not the FIRST thing they did? How did this all end up taking three MONTHS? This is completely awful. I am so so sorry and I hope there is some way to re set the bones somehow.

I wanted to comment on this early, because the FML 300 character limit doesn't really allow for a proper explanation... One day i suddenly started limping, and there was sometimes a strange clicking sensation in my foot as i was walking, but there was absolutelly no pain. A little later my foot was swollen, but still no pain, and i went to my doctor. She gave me Ibuprofen and sent me home. Obviously it didn't help with the swelling, so i went back. She gave me a stronger anti swelling medication, and sent me to the rheumatologist, since we couldn't figure out what was wrong. The rheumatologist gave me the strongest anti swelling medication they had, and sent me to the pulmonologist, vein ultrasound, urine tests, genetic blood testing and finally the x-ray which revealed two broken bones. The clicking sensation i felt during the first days was the two bones snapping back and forth while walking. I was in complete shock when i found out i had two broken bones in my foot, and even more so, when i realized they were grown back together allready, but far from perfectly. I immediatelly went to a traumatologist, but they said there was nothing they could do, that i would have had to come to them in the first two weeks. This actually all happened a year ago, and my foot is now slightly better, but still far from perfect. It is slightly deformed due to the bone callus that forms around the broken bones - it's pushing the healthy bones appart, making my foot wider than it should be. But this will go away, and i have high hopes that at least externally my foot will appear normal. As for walking, i barelly limp anymore, so i have high hopes for that as well. But fact is, my foot will never be the same again...

Oh my goodness, that's really sad. I hope you get better, and your foot does at well. at least you can say that you shouldn't walk it off anymore....

Mathalamus 24

So.. All you got was a deformed foot, which doesn't matter and a very slight limp. Oh well, I would just move on from that, really. Nothing really changed.

Make the most of it! Also, do you have any pics of it?

Did you ever find out how your bones actually broke? Like did you lack calcium or something because it's scary how your foot could be broken without feeling any pain

#28 What, do you mean like the x-ray? I do have it on a CD somewhere... You want me to post it???

#32 I never found out how or why it happened... It just did. A few years ago i broke a bone in my palm, and recieved a metal plate with four screws. While drilling the bone, the surgeon commented on how strong my bones are - he was having problems drilling, so i have no idea... The only bizzare thought i had was, if i was sleepwalking and something happened during that time. But i don't usually sleepwalk.

I'm cringing just thinking about it! Sure hope everything will be fine!

Psyqiik 18

I put the two x-rays into my profile pictures for the curious ones... Enjoy. :)

That sucks dude. There's no surgical option? I have a finger that was broken badly & the bones healed at a weird angle. The doctor told me that it could be fixed but only with surgery. Obviously a finger is a lot more simple than a foot, but I'd think there should be something. You might want to have a consult with an orthopedic surgeon.

CrassKal 27

I find it interesting that x-ray wasn't one of the first steps they took. I suppose the lack of pain made them think otherwise, but still that seems more practical than urine tests and vein ultrasounds. Was there a reason for no pain? Like some nerve damage, or do you just have a really high tolerance?

They can actually "rebreak" your foot and then reset it.

My mom also did something similar to this, she went to the doctor saying she believed her foot was broken and a lot of the nurses tried to refuse an X-ray because she was walking on it. It was a break from a long time ago that had healed and then snapped again. Weird.

Hi. i'm a podiatry student (foot and ankle medicine), and while I don't know a lot right now, looking at the X-rays it seems to me like a stress or hairline fracture that you didn't know you had and it just broke. Hairline fractures can be caused by repetitive force on the bones, and since you walk on your feet all the time, if you had thinner bone or something they could have easily happened, and then they don't hurt, and you keep walking, and then your bones totally break. that might be what happened to you, and once the bones fuse, it's sometimes impossible to fix. You can break and fix small children's bones because not all of their bones fuse early, but with adults they are all fused by then

In the original post you said its been three months now youre saying it happened a year ago?

@66 It probably means that from the original doctor visit to finding out it was broken bones was 3 months, but the entire incident happened a year ago.

#68 Exactly. The FML submission must always start with "Today", so i wrote it from the perspective of the day i got the x-ray... I always read the OP's comments on FMLs, and many are written that way, and didn't actually happen "today".

I'm with CrassKai in wondering why they didn't order an x-ray first. It seems to me that when a patient comes in complaining about their foot, you should take a look at the foot first, not the lungs! But maybe that sort of thinking is why I don't have a medical degree?

zeffra13 31

#70 I doubt they looked at his lungs. A pulmonologist isn't specifically lungs, it's the pulmonary system aka heart, lungs, and circulation. OP saw that doctor for the vein ultrasound to see if there was a blood flow problem such as clots causing the swelling.

zeffra13, it's a figure of speech. it's a way of saying they should have done the x Ray first instead of waiting until they went as far as checking into his genetics.

rmays96 15

I really want to see the pictures but I dont know how to view profiles!

rmays96 15

Oh never mind I figured it out :) looks very painful! im sorry!

83, I was indeed going for parallelism within my sentence instead of literalism, since my degrees are in English rather than medicine! And 79, my point still stands...there's another comment elsewhere on this thread pointing out that swelling in the feet can mean blood clots, so I could see why a doctor would want to make sure there aren't any. I just can't see why the doc would look for a blood clot before checking to see if the problem was maybe with OP's foot, aka the body part that made him decide to see a doctor.

ABlindMan 17

For what exactly? It's not their fault they didn't immediately jump to the worst conclusion. They went through proper procedure. I mean if it was just swelling and no pain they'd assume it was just swelling. When there was still no pain they assumed it just needed stronger medicine. When that didn't work they gradually went up the chain. I mean there's no malpractice.

Hey OP, is there no way they could re-break the bone to allow it to re heal properly?I know it's common for them to do this but it's on more recent bone fractures/breaks I'm assuming

Could have been a stress fracture that became a full blown fracture just from overuse

LolaBunny07 10

Why didn't they send you for an x-ray first?? I would maybe consider a malpractice lawsuit. That should have been one of the first things they did..

My friend broke her foot and they kept insisting it was just a sprain until they X-Rayed it so it sounds like your case isn't so strange. It's bad because I imagine anti-inflammatories are the last thing you need! I'm glad you're healing well, my friend will probably have problems for the rest of her life but that's more due to injury than their response to it.

mariri9206 32

That really sucks that happened to you, OP! It really sucks having foot/ankle injuries - or injuries of any kind - but, having had many ankle injuries myself (thankfully none of them involving a broken - yet and I hope it stays that way), I so understand. I've also had a knee dislocation that I got by simply standing and my (former) orthopedist related it to the theory of spontaneous combustion and maybe that's similar to what happened with you? Also, my ankles hurt for you when I read about the clicking being the bones snapping back and forth (since ankle/foot injuries are a sensitive topic for me, in a way).

#93 How the hell did they go through proper procedure?? They did a genetic test before they did a damn x-ray. Most doctors hear the word foot pain and suggest that you get a x-ray. They should know better then to do a vein test and genetic test before an x-ray unless their stupid or really want your money.

That's insane. When I broke my arm there was no mistaking the pain. Putting all of your weight on it I'm having a hard time imaging why it didn't hurt. Makes me wonder if the broken bones and/or the lack of pain is a warning sign for something else. I'm no doctor so his is pure speculation... Regardless I'm sorry something permanent like this occurred but at least you didn't loose functionality for the most part. The pain is what will really hold you back. Also now you can do a pimp Egor costume. ;) To soon? Sorry.

It is completely possible to fix it, but its not easy nor cheap. They basically have to re-break the bones, put them in alignment and then put a pin in to let it heal correctly. The right specialist to see about this is an orthopedic surgeon.

Your GP did completely drop the ball. Standard of care in the US for swelling and a strange clicking, which is classic for a fracture, is an x-ray. There is no reason it should have been missed. If you ever see those doctors again, tell them they're morons.

Looking at the x-ray, I think you actually broke two metatarsal bones, one right next to the other. The fact that it didn't hurt is amazing.

So they can't re-break it? You're just hosed?

They can be rebroken and set or you could get surgery that would cut through the bones so they can be set or pinned temporarily.

My only question was why WASN'T the x-ray done first? Even without pain or anything, maybe an odd angle or even the swelling would have been a clue that something was very wrong.

I am not sure how the medical education system works over there, but it seems to me your GP is one of those who merely just passed the failing mark. It seems to me she did not even do a proper examination nor does she know an x-ray is one of the most common orders for a patient in your situation.

dragoongirl90 34

They should talking about rebreaking the bones so they heal right.

Plot twist, his doctor was Greg House.

Psyqiik 18

Bullshit stop lying to make fml