By cacheson - 15/04/2017 19:45

Today, I went out to party for the evening. I came home a bit later than normal, but apparently it was enough that my cat thought she was going to starve, and foraged for herself. She ate a bowl of Hershey's Kisses. I spent my night at the emergency vet, wondering if cat Darwin Awards exist. FML
I agree, your life sucks 4 683
You deserved it 770

cacheson tells us more.

Ok, followup: cat is fine. She had to stay at the hospital overnight with IV fluids to flush out her system. Also, anyone who understands how picky cats are about what they eat would be surprised that a cat would even consider chocolate food... including the emergency vet, who had never seen a case of a cat eating chocolate in her entire 15 years, simply because cats are not supposed to be dumb enough to try eating it. She had also left said bowl of chocolates (which was up on a high shelf) alone for about three months already, so I had no reason to think she would go after it. Needless to say, I now keep all food items out of reach and sight, regardless of what they are. Since the incident, some of her favorite foods I have discovered (that I mostly try desperately to keep her from eating): tomatoes, peanuts, ice cream, raw sugar snap peas (and other veggies), hair, cardboard, string, rubber bands, and cat litter. The best part? After all that, she doesn't believe that kitty treat tuna flakes are food. Too much like paper...?

Add a comment

You must be logged in to be able to post comments!

Top comments

I think we need a follow up on this to find out if kitty survived this experience, I hope so.

Darwin Award. Tongue in cheek awards for stupidest death. Began around 1985.

Comments

Mine eats the plants in the house. Daft bugger!

zeffra13 31

Pretty much all cats do that. You should plan for it. Make sure not to keep any plants toxic to cats in the house, like lilies.

I think we need a follow up on this to find out if kitty survived this experience, I hope so.

Now you will get the best chocolate kisses ever from your kitty! :D

Hate to be that guy but could someone help me out did they mean Darwinism or actually Darwin Awards? I'm very confused

Darwin Award. Tongue in cheek awards for stupidest death. Began around 1985.

WeirdUS 29

If you left the bowl out in the open that's on you OP. The cat doesn't know any better of course it's going to look for food if it's hungry and the bowl is empty. Don't leave chocolate out in reach of pets. Hope your cat is ok.

I'll bet your oboe rival set out the deadly chocolates for your cat. Kind of the Texas Cheerleader Mom & Tonya Harding wrapped up in one Machiavellian package!

Isa_fml 20

I hope kitty's OK, but you really shouldn't leave things like that where your cat can get at them. That foil wrapping is too easy to just bite through.

My cat likes to drink what I am drinking, especially if it is coffee or tea.

Ok, followup: cat is fine. She had to stay at the hospital overnight with IV fluids to flush out her system. Also, anyone who understands how picky cats are about what they eat would be surprised that a cat would even consider chocolate food... including the emergency vet, who had never seen a case of a cat eating chocolate in her entire 15 years, simply because cats are not supposed to be dumb enough to try eating it. She had also left said bowl of chocolates (which was up on a high shelf) alone for about three months already, so I had no reason to think she would go after it. Needless to say, I now keep all food items out of reach and sight, regardless of what they are. Since the incident, some of her favorite foods I have discovered (that I mostly try desperately to keep her from eating): tomatoes, peanuts, ice cream, raw sugar snap peas (and other veggies), hair, cardboard, string, rubber bands, and cat litter. The best part? After all that, she doesn't believe that kitty treat tuna flakes are food. Too much like paper...?

Thanks for the follow-up, cacheson! What a funny cat!

emiyusa92 1

Does your cat have pica?

Tartara 14

I had a cat once that ate part of a chocolate rose. It was wrapped in tin foil, so didn't think it would be an issue. Apparently, some cats just sometimes get bound and determined to eat things they shouldn't! Glad that your kitty was alright :)

JadeMinu 10

I'm glad your cat is doing much better OP! I know a situation like that would be a little nerve wrecking, especially when it's with our little furry babies!

sounds like your cat may have pica since it likes to eat unedible foods. my cat does. she likes to eat tape, velcro, my hair, dirt. it's a pain. how do you get your cat not to eat litter?

I've never had a cat go for chocolate, but one of mine would eat Styrofoam, hair ties, ribbons, string, the dust off window blinds, and a wide variety of houseplants.

So, pica actually indicates some underlying issue such as stress or nutritional deficiency, and is actually characterized by a craving for non-food materials. My cat doesn't crave or seek out non-food (other than this one instance I guess), she just eats random things she finds. Also I feed my cats the best food available, and their environment is generally pretty stress-free.

Wow, that's one messed up kitty, although I'm glad she came through it ok. Good luck getting her onto a more cat friendly diet again.

It sounds like she might have pika/pica. If she's old enough for adult food you could discuss with your vet if moving her to a raw meat diet is good for her.

becca9985 34

I'd like anyone who thinks cat's are picky eaters to meet my cat. She'll eat anything and she almost has; she's a junk food addict. She's eaten Twinkies, cupcakes, popcorn, cookies, ice cream, chips, Ramen noodles, etc. To anyone who thinks I'm slowly killing her by letting her eat junk human food, I will point out that the only thing I intentionally feed her are popped popcorn pieces (and she'll only eat two before getting bored). Everything else was one-time only events that she foraged for because they weren't properly put away. Additionally, the vet laughed when I told him of her edible adventures, primarily because he detected no adverse effects in her health because of them. Shockingly, she's still in the healthy weight range with a slim waistline.

Heather Frost 7

I wish people would realize that animals are like humans in a way and realize that unless it is allergic to chocolate it will not kill them.

Except it can kill humans, too. Depends on how much is eaten. For cats and dogs it's a smaller amount since they're, well, smaller. Death by chocolate is a real thing.