By Bogrbon - 03/06/2016 19:18 - United States - West Lafayette

Today, I went in for a root canal. After a heavy dose of anesthetic, my tooth still wasn't numb, which I only realized when they started drilling. FML
I agree, your life sucks 12 598
You deserved it 1 624

Bogrbon tells us more.

OP here. They did stop pretty quick, after it started hurting, before it got too bad. Anesthetic tolerance runs in the family (and no, I don't use any drugs). They edited the fact that since it had been having issues getting numb, they'd already given me the maximum safe dose of anesthetic for the day, so I had to reschedule for the next available appointment 3 weeks out, and get a temporary filling and prescription for Vicodin (which would make me sick and keep me from safely working) to tide me over. Long story short, my tooth is not only better, it's worse, and I am still waiting, (If you've ever needed a root canal you know the pain.) so the pain at the endodontist's was all for nothing.

Top comments

Normally if you put your hand up they'll immediately stop and check to make sure you're ok. Might be worth keeping that in mind for next time.

You should've said something even if you weren't completely sure it wasn't numb, before they started drilling. After all, it's better to be safe than to be sorry. But in this case, you were sorry. Hopefully you'll remember this if you ever get another root canal done, so that you won't make the same mistake twice.

Comments

I feel your pain, my dentist froze my mouth and left for an hour to work on a different patient because he thought it would only take a little time. He immediately stopped after I flinched.

I'm going in next month to have 4 impacted wisdom teeth taken out. I'm terrified of the dentist and this story did not help. FYL OP, hope they stopped and did something about it.

I had a root canal my freshman yr of high school... the dentist put numbing jell on my gums first, then they gave me shots... and I still had an anxiety attack but only from needles

This happened to me but it was a cavity, I feel your pain

at least you felt some relief, every dental procedure, every stitch. over 200 I've had. Has been completely without pain relief. it plain and simply does not work with my body

As a person whom this have happened to, I must say, I'm am so sorry, OP. I've never had that root canal done in the end, it's still giving me problems because it couldn't be numbed. But the muscles of my throat is. Almost died trying to swallow my saliva.

I got a grand total of 9 pain injections when I got my root canal :-(

I'm getting a root canal in August and this just completely mortified me... Holy shit, someone please tell me they can knock you out for this..

I'm pretty sure that you could ask for a general anesthesia, but that would require a special procedure and hence, more money.

I usually get gas for stuff like this. Its an extra $20 and you can drive home after. Totally worth it.

My insurance covers it so I'm not worried about the money thankfully, but holy shit, now I'm scared to go.

Did you get this story from the song Some Beach? The similarities are uncanny lol

I never had to have root canal, thankfully. I have had an infected molar removed with laughing gas to help. It was a TON better than local injected anesthesia for when my wisdom teeth were removed. Hope it's all over for you with that process, OP!